Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

RO lump now available at HD (at least at the one in my 'hood).

For those who don't like to shop at Wal-Mart for whatever particular reason, I just saw 17.6 lbs bags of RO lump at HD for $12.97+tax. That is the same price as Wal-Mart. Some months ago, Wal-Mart marked those bags down to $9.99+tax, so it was cheaper for a little while.

The bbq section at my HD has improved - they now have big bags of apple, cherry, and maybe even peach wood chunks in stock.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.

Comments

• Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    edited October 2013
    I haven't been to HD since I got the stuff to winterize the yard, but I really hope that this is a corporate wide move.  Would love to not have to go to Wal-Mart.

Edit: Listed on their website and is listed at every HD near me.
    \:D/
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • Kosko
    Kosko Posts: 535
    Our Home Depot had royal oak a couple months ago. I almost fell out when I saw it! I went back last weekend and it was all gone. Do you know if all Home Depots are going to start carrying Royal Oak lump?
    Peachtree City, Ga Large BGE
  • TUTTLE871
    TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316
    At Harley Davidson? Wow I bet that's pricy.

I have seen it at one before out in Ft Worth and I have seen it at a Tractor Supply also. 12.97 for 18lbs

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    I haven't seen it with my own eyes yet.  On their website it's listed as "only available in-store" and then you can check your nearby stores inventory.  I hope this is something permanent and not some big corporate buy at the end of the season and once it's gone it's gone.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • daffy1909
    daffy1909 Posts: 498
    Where r u???? :-h
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    There were 3 bags at my store about an hour ago. Don't know if they will stock it regularly. I didn't see any Cowboy lump anywhere, nor their house brand (True Cue?).

@TUTTLE871 : Home Depot... where you can buy half the store for what a Harley costs :) 

• freddyj
    freddyj Posts: 129
    I just grabbed 3 bags up here in Boston. Very greatful because it is difficult to find anything other than cowboy.
    Kamado Joe Big Joe, Classic & Junior
  • Saw it at the HD in Blue Ridge GA this weekend.
    LBGE- Atlanta, LBGE and SBGE- Ellijay, GA
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    The only stuff I've seen at our local HD is Cowboy...................I'll pass.
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    freddyj said:

I just grabbed 3 bags up here in Boston. Very greatful because it is difficult to find anything other than cowboy.

Boston?... You'll love St Louis lump

>:)
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,457
    edited October 2013
    Our Lowes carries the 17.6lb blue bag RO year long, same price in store and online.  Every year around Canada Day (July 1) it's 1/2 price, free UPS shipping included. This year I ordered a pile online, it was funny to see half the brown truck filled with huge boxes of loosely packed RO bags!
    canuckland
  • caliking
    @Canugghead - I wonder if people like us scare other people? For instance, when Kingsford goes on sale at HD, Wal-Mart etc a few times during the year, bbq freaks roll in and buy pallets of charcoal, clean every store in the county out, and the likes. What must "normal" people think?

• I saw that the Home Depot by me (east of Dallas) was selling RO too. Unfortunately they were sold out
  • Thank you so much for the heads up. Ordered it online and will pick it up in the am.
    2 LBGE
  • awm
    awm Posts: 181
    thanks a lot for info. I've been buying it at Tractor Supply, and it seems every bag I get is crushed up and pretty small pieces. I just checked online and it showing every Home Depot around me has it in stock.
  • @caliking - which HD did you see this at?
    Houston, TX
  • caliking
    @Orthobear - the one at Broadway & 288 in Pearland. 

• Yet another reason why national carriers should carry national things and regional should carry regional things...
  • The home depot website also shows now in stock at my local store--greenville, sc.  Thanks for the heads up, I prefer the larger RO bags, seems to have larger pieces.
  • lilwooty
    lilwooty Posts: 215
    Yahoo!  They have it here it Northern Cal. too.  Just saw it at the Yuba City HD.

Living Large and XL

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    @Caliking.. I'll be in Austin soon. Can bring you some oo but Houston is a drive.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • My HD stocks RO they sell it for $12.97 for the 17.6 pound bad which is't bad but when Wally world has it on sale it's $9.99  I have almost 14 bags in stock so I think I will be fine and make it thru the winter 
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    The home depot website also shows now in stock at my local store--greenville, sc.  Thanks for the heads up, I prefer the larger RO bags, seems to have larger pieces. 
    Good suggestion to use the HD site, it is easy to check your local store. 8Kg bags for $12.97 with 8 bags in stock in the Bellingham Washington store - must be chain wide. Also noted Lowe's has the "now improved" 20# Cowboy for $13.99. 
    Today is shopping in America day for this Canuck, might just throw a bag or two in the trunk. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    edited October 2013
    Thanks for the head's up-as @Skiddymarker notes-must be chain-wide as it's in stock at all the local Kentucky Jelly stores. And as a personal issue-I will not shop at Wally World so this definitely helps with some stock to use around the Rockwood. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • TUTTLE871
    TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316
    Just picked up 6 bags at my local HD. I am close to 500lbs of lump in my car hold now. 

Please don't tell my wife.

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• caliking
    The home depot website also shows now in stock at my local store--greenville, sc.  Thanks for the heads up, I prefer the larger RO bags, seems to have larger pieces.
    Yep I like the bigger bags too for the same reason. Central Market lump has nice big pieces even though it comes in a smaller bag though, but thats the exception.

henapple said:
    @Caliking.. I'll be in Austin soon. Can bring you some oo but Houston is a drive.
    You're a gentleman egger, sir. When will you be in Austin? I'm absolutely swamped until Nov 18th, then out of town for Thanksgiving. If you're coming to Austin anytime in that window, I would try to drive up, see the sights and grab some double O. At the least, you should show up at Cen-Tex's place and drink his beer. 

• Proser
    Proser Posts: 271
    edited October 2013
    @henapple. Are you bringing extra OO to Austin?
    If so can I get in on some?
    Arlington, TX  1 large, 1 medium, 1 Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone
  • The little town we just moved to has a mom&pop grocer that keeps a strong stock of RO 18 lbs bags for 9.99 every day. I've become close to the owner and hoping winter stocking won't be a problem.

XLBGE 
  • San Diego H.D. had a full pallet of the large R.O. $12.97
  • EagleIII
    EagleIII Posts: 415
    The Marietta, GA H.D. store shows 37 ea 17.6 lb bags RO in stock for $12.97 ea, which is 73 cents a pound.  My local Wally-World only ever has the 8.8 lb bags for $6.97, which breaks down to 79 cents a pound.  Soooo, greater convenience of the 17 lb bag and a few cents a pound cheaper...can't beat that!