Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

1ST Beef Brisket- questions and comments appreciated !!PLS & TY

OK EGGHEADS  after reading hundreds of forums about briskets I honestly am confused about a couple of things 1- fat side up or down,2-cook temp 200-F or 225-F, 3- pull off at 185-F or 195-F, Foil in cooler or no cooler, Currently after cooking 8lb lightly trimmed  brisket that had rub on 12 hrs, put place setter legs up, pan of apple/water juice on plate setter, brisket on v rack on top of grate fat side down.It's been 3hrs running with digital probe 215-F at grate 210-F dome temp and current temp of 127-F meat temp. Oh and it's raining out and outside temp is 45-F,

Comments

• sorry dome temp at 210-F not 127 Grate temp at 225-F
  • Everything sounds like its going well. The temp of the meat climbs really quick in the first couple hours then slows down around 150-160. Around 195 is where you want to start probing it for tenderness. When your probe slides in easily with no resistance its ready. FTC for a couple hours and then it will be ready to slice.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,322
    edited October 2013

Opinions and we all know what those are worth-

#1.  fat side up or down doesn't make any difference with the cook-I prefer fat down so if anything sticks, it's fat.

#2.  Most BGE's have a "sweet spot" 240-260*F-that said, I run around 270-280*F on the calibrated dome.  I don't think there is any benefit to going very low temp wise.  That temp yields around 1.5 hrs/# for guesstimation purposes. See first line-

#3.  Pull when?  Brisket finish-line is a feel thing.  When you can probe the thickest part of the flat with little to no resistance, both ways you are there.  So, when does that happen temperature-wise-anywhere from around 190-205*F or so measured in the flat.  The thermo is just a guide to start the probe testing.

#4-foil and cooler or not-most advocate FTC (Foil, Towels and Cooler) for at least an hour or more.  Eggsperimentt and go from there-

#5-BGE couldn't care about outside weather.

Bonus-the point will run around 10-15*F hotter than the flat but due to high fat content-not an issue.  Go with the flat.  Flat and point have different meat grain patterns.  And only slice against the grain when ready to consume.  That's all I have for this one.

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • 1) does not matter (I do up because that's how I learned but I've been overserved in the dark and done them down on accident.no difference)

2) I cook way hotter. At least 250, mostly 260-275. There is no reason to cook at 200 or 225 unless you like really long brisket cooks. 200 is a non-starter for me

3) I start checking at 195 for tenderness. It's usually close by then. 

4) the cooler rest (FTC) is a good thing. If you are eating soon, no cooler, just let it rest for 30-45 minutes on the counter until you can handle it with your hands. This rest period really helps the texture. Even if you FTC for hours, let the brisket cool a little before cutting into it.

have fun. sounds like you are off to a good start. If you want to eat tonight, bump that that temp up a little. You are well in to the 2 hrs per lb range at those low temps. No need for that.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Thanks   I guess I just needed feedback to confirm my original thoughts. I will bump up the temp to 250-F  and use my thermopen to start checking at 185-F . Regards.
  • you are all over it. have fun

• soooo......how was it?
  • only way to get better at brisket is to try try again
  • Watch utube of doc bbq. I tried it came out perfect.
  • Well after all the work the brisket came out good .lots of flavor perfect in the middle and as expected a little well done on the bits. will try burnt ends next time . was a little rushed at the end and bumped up the temp.pulled off at 187-f then in foil with broth and wrapped in towels in  the cooler for about 45 min. Friend all raved at the flavor but I thought if it could be better !! A cook is never happy!!  I did feel like it was waiting for your first born OMG tended to it too much and did'nt want to fail. All in all was definitely a learning curve . Documented all the results in a GREEN EGG Cookbook journal. I also think after talking to friend I wont trim any fat and allow way more time to cook and not mess with it. Thanks Eggies for the advice and support!! Much appreciated!! Off to do steak tonight on cast iron grill. Regards