Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How do You start your Egg

Comments

• bvc
    bvc Posts: 37
    I've messed around with most everything mentioned here but for me the mapp torch and lighting 3 spots on the top of pile of lump works best imo.
    Kenmore, WA
    Large and Small BGE
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Mapp Torch and my wife's hair dryer.
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    works best if you let the oil soak in for a few days and you get a years worth of lighting with a roll of papertowels
    https://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1143722/napkin-and-oil-trick-was-messy

i dont light from top any morre, i just slip the lit napkin in thru the lower vent under the lump
    I have used a little vegetable oil and a paper towel before and it worked about the same as a starter cube. I have always lit from the top whether for a hot cook or a low and slow. 

I just tried the "light from the bottom" method with a napkin and a little vegetable oil. I loaded a fresh load of lump and pushed the napkin in the draft door and then used a long lighter to start it in the ash pit. I didn't have enough oil on the first one and it burned for maybe one minute. I had a little smoke but no start. I waited 10 minutes and tried again with another napkin and a little more veg oil on this one. I must say, I was quite surprised as its 40 degrees here and within 5 minutes I was at 350 degrees. Maybe I had a little bit of a start from the first try that sped this up. All I know is I have never had that much charcoal burning in that short of time. The smoke cleared very quickly too. I think I'll give this a few more tries as it seems to work pretty well. I have never gotten to 350 degrees in 15 minutes starting fresh lump from the top. I have never used a looflighter or a torch though. 

@fishlessman - Thanks for the tip. Do you use the same method for low n slow starts?
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    but I don't love the idea of just standing there while the first wisps of acrid smoke waft up into the air.  I can't imagine breathing that stuff is good for you, especially given how often I egg... @briktrav... I can't imagine any small amount of smoke hurting you. There was a thread poster concerned about breathing the dust from the lump bag. I wouldn't sweat it. The bottle of Glenfiddich will do much more damage... Which is how I start my egg. Take a swig, flick the lighter and spew.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • daffy1909
    daffy1909 Posts: 498
    When ever i make bacon, i soak a few paper towels in the grease then put them in a zip lock in the freezer! Works great!
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    I use a weber chimney with one piece of newsprint.
  • Used an electric starter until it tripped the neighborhood circuit.  Not making that up.

So just using the firestarters but looking to use the oil trick.  That looks cool
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    works best if you let the oil soak in for a few days and you get a years worth of lighting with a roll of papertowels

i dont light from top any morre, i just slip the lit napkin in thru the lower vent under the lump

+1. This works real well. And for those in the cold north, lighting an oil soaked paper towel and sticking in the bottom vent is a great way to un freeze a stuck Egg. I light from the bottom when going hot, from the top for low and slow.
    @Bullhalsey - Does the Looftlighter require that you stand there breathing in the acrid smoke as the charcoal first catches?  I'd love to use one, but given how often I egg, I don't like the idea of having to breathe that stuff in.  The advantage in the BGE cubes (and other methods) is that I can light one then walk away without having to inhale those thick gray plumes.  If there's a way around that, I think I'd go for the Looftlighter.  
    bictrav, I stand there literally for about 1 minute with the lighter directly on the coals, when I see sparks, i draw it away a few inches and the air gets the fire blazing…I haven't had any problem at all with smoke inhalation.  I love it, and highly recommend it...
  • sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    edited October 2013
    I just started using the side burner on my gasser, with a charcoal chimney in top.  I have some unlit lump in the egg, and pour the lit stuff on top.  Works great for high temp cooks.

I'll still I start with the wax&sawdust stuff for low&slow or napkin&oil if I'm out.  I'm thinking of buying a duraflame log and just cutting a chunk off when I need it.  The whole huge log is cheaper than the much smaller wax/sawdust 'matches'.  I'd be able to start fires long after world war Z.

PS - glad to have you hooked!  The koolaid is good... strong...  stuff.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,188

Seeing comments about lighting from bottom, I will relate two things I have done.  The first is ti light the chimney with a starter cube which worked quite well.  We don't get a paper as it is delivered after I leave for work and there is always one to look at when I get to the frosting factory.  I have also placed a starter cube inside the air box under the coal grate and this worked well also.  I used a set of tongs and placed the cube on edge.

I haven't checked on the label of the Duraflame logs, but seem to remember those burning with some added colors in the flames.  It might be good to check the ingredient list to be sure it is just wax and sawdust.

A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Lighting is giving me some issues in my very short experience.  I like the propane torch idea/method and will likely go that route. 

A little experiment that I did yesterday when cooking a few NY Strips.  I took two BGE starters, lit them and placed in the coals.  The temp was just not doing it for me.  I was wanting at least 450°-500° for the steaks.  I leave a box fan on the back deck for the summers when we are sitting out there.  I took the box fan and placed at the bottom door and turned it on high.  Next thing I know the fire came alive and it was all I could do not to get the thing not to go above 550°. 

I think the torch would be great for high temp cooks where the starters are good for slow cooks. 
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • ratcheer
    ratcheer Posts: 189
    I just use Diamond Start-a-Fire fire starters. In fact, I break them in half and get two fires started with each one. Cheap, easy, and effective.

Tim
  • HighWay
    HighWay Posts: 19
    Looftligher here, if you are worried about breathing in fumes you might want to switch to a gas grill.

Charlotte, NC LBGE

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Rutland fire starters. A box of 144 for $15 the last time I bought them.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Propane torch but thinking about the looflighter this spring
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    'How do you start your Egg?' Candle light, soft music, red wine .......
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Hey Mikey can you sharing that coffee rub recipe with me and others I can not seem to find it in previous threads.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    b0atnutz said:
    Hey Mikhey can you sharing that coffee rub recipe with me and others I can not seem to find it in previous threads.

Coffee Rub (turkey, chicken, beef & pork) Equal part: Instant Expresso Ground coffee Equal part: Brown Sugar ½ part: Black Pepper ½ part: Kosher Salt ½ part: Garlic Powder ¾ part: Ancho Chili Powder Don't worry on exact, just close on measurement. I used to use turbinado sugar but we like with brown better. This is pulled from MollyShark, Hungry Man, & Richard In Fl then tweaked. I find the ancho chili powder is far less expensive in the bulk spice area than the bottled area ( have used both light or dark version). I make it starting with a half cup Instant Expresso Ground coffee and work from there as it seems to store well if sealed.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• BGE electric starter.
    Piero from South Etobicoke in Toronto and sometimes Pinellas Park, St.Petersburg, XL-BGE
  • SoCal_Griller
    SoCal_Griller Posts: 516
    edited October 2013
    Did the "Oil soaked paper towel from below" method last night.  I'm a convert.  Fastest time to temp yet.  
    0 - 350 in about ten minutes.

Simi Valley, California
    LBGE, PBC, Annova, SMOBot
  • ChristinaSunshine
    ChristinaSunshine Posts: 87
    edited October 2013
    Mr. SS9 bought me a Looflighter, and I like to use that because it's like an art --- you light little patches then come back and blow them up till they glow.  It also allows me time to sip on my red wine and contemplate the day ;-) http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/looft-lighter/
  • flemster
    flemster Posts: 269
    Looftlighter. Love it. Quick and easy. Agree it is pricy but I'm enjoying it
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------

Keywords: Gator, Nashvegas, LBGE, Looftlighter, Thermapen in Racing Green (faster than the red one!), PSWOO2, Spider with CI, IQ120
  • bodski
    bodski Posts: 463

I bought these when I got my egg over a year ago. About the same price as the BGE starters but 6 times as many in the pack. Still have a bunch left. When they run out, I'll probably just do the oil/grease and towel method, which I've done a few times with success.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00138MO16/ref=oh_details_o05_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Cincinnati

LBGE, Weber Kettle

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Has anyone with a MAPP torch tried lighting from the bottom?  I tried this and did not have great success, but perhaps I was too impatient.  One advantage with doing it this way is there would be less sparks.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Has anyone with a MAPP torch tried lighting from the bottom?  I tried this and did not have great success, but perhaps I was too impatient.  One advantage with doing it this way is there would be less sparks.  

That works with a propane or MAPP torch (or a weed burner), provided you have a replacement grate that lets the flame through.  If you're running a stock BGE grate, the flame isn't going to get through the holes unless you a have some sort of flue rigged up.  With a replacement great it works grate.  8-}

• I use a weed burner
  • Thank You Mickey for the recipe but 1 question what is measurement of Ancho Chilli powder? You mention don't worry just close to measurment is tha 1/2 part or more? Thanks again to everyone who provided feed back this was a tremendous help. Went with the oil soaked paper towel. Cheap and Easy.
  • FrankC
    FrankC Posts: 416