Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Just got Medium Sized Big EGG - HELP

Hello All,

This looks like a great community forum and I'm excited to be a part of it.

I just got a Medium BGE as a gift from the wife and am looking for some help to get started?

In the interest of not wasting anyone's times - I did try to look for through some of the existing discussions for "First Timers."

Let me see if I have this right

First - I need to get a different thermometer?

Also - I have a wood deck. I guess I should get the Accessory for the BGE - the Egg Nest? (That is another $200?)
Are there less expensive options?

I want to start with some pork ribs. Most of the recipes on here have those taking 2-4 hours so it doesn't look like I need to do an "overnight deal."
Although, some are recommending chicken or pork butt for first timers?

Any recommendations and help are much appreciated.

Cheers.

Comments

• tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    Welcome to the zoo! You don't need another thermometer to replace the one in the dome. One accessory you might consider at some point is the thermapen. Instant read thermometer and worth the money IMHO. I would recommend putting the egg in either a nest or a table that you could build or purchase. I have a custom table. I can't imagine that a nest for a medium would be more than $75 - $80. Ribs would be a good first cook. I believe the recommendation is to keep the temp under 400 or so for a couple of cooks. Ribs would do nicely at 250- 275 for 3 - 4 hours. You might even start with an empty egg cook just to get a feel for getting to maintaining temps. Good luck and remember, if no pictures, it didn't happen.
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited October 2013
    Welcome, always nice to have another MBGE owner. 
    The Thermapen from Thermoworks is the instant read thermo to check the food temp. It is $100 and recommended, but any quick read thermo will do, it just happens to be the best. 
    The thermo in the dome of the egg provides what we on this forum refer to as the cooking temp. All temps mean dome, unless otherwise stated. Boil some water, take the clip off the dome thermo (most of us throw the clip away) and calibrate the thermo in boiling water. Hang on to the dial and immerse the probe only in the water. Takes a moment or so, if it does not read 212Fº/100Cº put a wrench on the nut on the back and adjust it. 
    Mediums will sit on a table with a table nest or you can build a table or buy a full size nest. Key is to have airflow under the egg, it is OK to have it sitting on pavers, but the bottom will get hot. 
    We also refer to direct and indirect cooks. Direct cooks means there is nothing between the burning lump and the food except the cooking grid, which can be on the fire ring or raised direct where it raised off the fire ring with fire bricks, bolts and nuts etc. Indirect cooks require a shield, the plate setter or equivalent to block the direct IR from the lump. You need indirect for butt or ribs IMHO. 
    Most cooking is done with the dome closed. When you open a lit egg, burp it - lift the dome an inch or so to let it get some air or you will get a backdraft that removes your arm hair, we've all been there. 
    Good luck. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Buy/build a table if you have the room. Much better in long run
    Beaufort, SC
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564

Welcome to the herd.

You may want to check on CL for a nest.

It seems your journey has started.

Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684

Keep an eye out on Craigslist or eBay for that nest.  People have to do something with them when they buy tables.  $200 is way to high if that's what the dealer quoted you.

Thermometer?  Thermapen is the best if you're going to open the lid to check.   If you want something to stay in the meat while cooking, and also monitor the dome temp and send it to a remote, that's the Maverick ET-732.  Email me if you want a Maverick.

• grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Build a table. Material 100$. Not hard at all. I'm no carpenter btw
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• Hotch
    Look and Craig's List for a table or a nest. We always have a few around Dallas.
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • Hotch

Here is a table. Change or redo the top and ready to go.

http://dallas.craigslist.org/ftw/spo/4127891273.html

BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    The thermometer on older eggs were only accurate for so long before you would have to constantly recalibrate it. Many eggers would switch out their stock thermometer for an more accurate Tel-Tru thermometer. BGE has since partnered up with Tel-Tru and now come with it stock. So no worries if you have purchased an egg recently.
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Hi everyone,

I'm also new to the egging world and frankly, can't get enough.  I've already benefitted from this site.  Today I am just being allowed to comment on a thread, but can't seem to figure out how to post my own thread (hence the kind of off topic comment).  Anyways, I can no longer wait to cook dinner.

Thanks!!

Charleston, SC
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    Welcome, and hats off to your wife for gifting the egg. If you like to cook and particularly to grill, this could change your life! You will surely eat well.

If you can do indirect cooks (plate setter needed) either ribs or pork butt are great first cooks. If you don't have one, might as well get it now. It's essential and will be the first of many eggcessories you'll acquire.

Lots of great recipes, ideas, and help on this forum
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Thermapen, nest, patience. As long as you have a way to cook indirect don't buy anything other than lump and groceries... Even the table. Wait a while and see what you need and want to maximize your enjoyment. Share fails and successes and learn from both. Oh, learn to say spatchcock like Captain Kirk.

Spock, run.. To the store and buy a spatch cockchicken.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Thank you everyone for the comments.

I guess mine comes with legs.

Do I still need a nest?
  • legs? that may actually be the nest.  Upload a picture.
    Pentwater, MI
  • Welcome to the lifestyle @drshort. We'll look forward to sharing the journey with you.

Welcome to you as well @steelmover07. If you have not yet figured out how to start your own topic... you should see a big green button labelled "New Discussion" in the upper-right hand corner of the forum page; just click that button.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Welcome aboard drshort, If your med. has "legs" it is in a nest, also please do not use any type of lighter fluid to start the fire. I went yesterday to look at buying another med. (used) and they had used lighter fluid and briquettes, IMHO destroyed the egg.
    Lenoir, N.C.
  • MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,136
    piney said:
    Welcome aboard drshort, If your med. has "legs" it is in a nest, also please do not use any type of lighter fluid to start the fire. I went yesterday to look at buying another med. (used) and they had used lighter fluid and briquettes, IMHO destroyed the egg.

Where was that one? I'm In greensboro and am looking at one on Friday. You might save me the trip.
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• THE DRU
    THE DRU Posts: 63
    drshort,  I have a med. nest I will sell for $75. plus shipping.

Versailles, KY

XL, Lg, MM, Performer, Q