Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chamber sealers

Little Steven
Little Steven Posts: 28,817
edited October 2013 in Off Topic

Made beef stock over the weekend and put it in the beer fridge after it cooled. Next step for me is to get a bunch of foodsaver bags and put them in milk bag holders(a Canuck thing). Then into the freezer. Then vac seal. For this reason I found a pot of chicken stock I made a month ago still in the fridge. I want a chamber sealer so I can reduce this stock, stew, braise, soup, gravy and sauce thing to a one step program. Anybody have any experience with domestic chamber sealers? This is what I am looking at.

Product Image

$1149.00
CDN

add to cart +

VAC MASTER VP210 CHAMBER VACUUM SEALER MACHINE. PERFECT FOR SEALING LIQUIDS.

Product Code:
VP210

imageimageimage

The VacMaster® VP210 Chamber Machine is considered the crossover in vacuum packaging. It bridges the gap between home use and commercial use, offering a strong, powerful machine that outperforms the standard home unit. This machine is perfect for a small catering business, independent chefs or anyone looking for a serious machine. The VP210 is a reliable, maintenance-free machine that will take your vacuum packaging experience to a new level. If you are looking to advance, this is the machine for you!

How does the chamber machine work? When sealing with a chamber machine, the vacuum pouch is placed inside the chamber and the lid is closed. Air is sucked out of the entire chamber, not just the pouch itself, allowing air pressure on both the inside and outside of the pouch to remain equal and liquids to stay inside the pouch. After the air has been removed, the pouch is fully sealed and air is returned back into the chamber. It really is a whole new way to vacuum package. The VacMaster® VP210 Chamber Machine takes the chore out of vacuum packaging. The VP210 accepts chamber pouches up to 10"W x 13"L.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

Comments

• GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    Nice toy! ;;)
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • Little Steven
    I think it would pay for itself in no time based on the amount of food I throw out. A good quality basic sealer is $400 or more

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    I'm with you, it's nice. Expensive but nice! It would be cheaper if you didn't buy so much food or you could eat more. I would have one if I had room or money. ;;) 80 and sunny......
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • In our social circle, a chamber sealer is something entirely different.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • I deal with these quite often for work. I'm partial to the Multivac units. Currently have a C200 in my lab with nitrogen backflushing for MAP. Paid a decent amount though since we added all the bells and whistles. 
    Large BGE & mini stepchild & a KJ Jr.
    The damp PNW 
  • Little Steven
    Thanks I've been reading reviews of it and been on a few foodie forums too. This one, while more expensive, fits the space I have for it better. Gamesaver is not performing well and I don't want another cheap one. I do a lot of braises and stews a lot of stock and soups. These end up getting tossed a lot as I don't get around to the vac-sealing part as soon as I should. I invest a lot of time and money into the cooks so the initial cost isn't a big issue. I don't like giving stuff to some of my wife's family if I'm not 100% sure it's good.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,660
    You will still need to wait for the food to cool down because the boiling point increases at low pressure. Liquid evaporation will contaminate the oil from the vacuum pump and will also have an impact on the texture of the food (this also applies to meat). The cycle time on this unit is also longer than on the food saver units. If your goal is to speed up the process of sealing stock in pouches, you may be better off with a flash sealer...

edited October 2013
    You had to say that didn't you! I am not a research kinda guy! I know, from my butcher, that the chamber sealer takes longer but putting the soupy stuff into the milk jugs and lining with the foodsaver bags, filling them and putting them in the freezer and then taking them out to seal has got to be better than waiting. Tell me about this flash sealer you speak of.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• paqman
    It's a simple device that will seal food saver type bags but without a pump. You fill the bag, slide it between the bars of the flash sealer unit removing as much air as possible and then turn it on to seal the bag. You can do this while the stock is still warm and then throw the bags in cold water to chill them. You will end up with some air in the bags (less than in a bag of milk if you are careful) but is much faster than a vacuum chamber.

Oh and a basic flash sealer unit will cost you about 50$

The proper name is an impulse sealer

Y'know Pag I really hate you. My mind was all made up and now I have to look at a bunch of other stuff.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• paqman
    edited October 2013
    You could get both... I would.

Interesting discussion, I've seen my share of impulse sealer in action when I was a kid - it's called candle!

I wonder if one can mount it on the rim of a straight sided container filled with water, then apply Archimedes principle to squeeze out the air before sealing?
    canuckland
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,457
    Little Steven, ... to chill down liquidy food real quick, we use double metal bowls with ice water ... it'll be cool enough to go straight into freezer before vac sealing, no big deal even if you forgot about it, no?
    canuckland
  • Sounds like you know what you want - looks like you can store lots of stock, broth, stews, etc. with that thing - probably for beyond a year.  Thats a winner
  • BigWader
    BigWader Posts: 673

Hopefully @optiontrader will see this and give you a review.  He has one that he talked about in this thread here:

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1148271/i-hit-the-motherlode#latest

Toronto, Canada

Large BGE, Small BGE