Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chicken skin rubbery doing a low and slow

Options

Anyone successfully get their chicken skin crisp when doing a low and slow? I've tried a variety of things without success - brining with a bit of sugar, air drying the chicken for 24 hours before cooking, and cranking the heat up in the last 15 minutes. While the chicken meat itself is wonderful, the skin is inedible.

thanks

Comments

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Bout all you can do is a high temp bit at the end. Or stick it under the broiler.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Never do low and slow wtih chicken. Don't see that it benefits from it very much (like a brisket or butt does) and you'll always have rubbery skin. 375-450 for chicken for me is the only way to go.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• NibbleMeThis
    NibbleMeThis Posts: 2,295
    Options
    For absolute "bite through" skin, a lot of competitors actually remove the skin, scrape off the fat from the back of the skin and put it back on.  It's pretty gross when you see how much fat comes off of it.  Skip the next picture if you don't want to see.

As you can imagine, it's a lot of work to do for 12 thighs, but it definitely gives you that clean bite without the skin pulling at low and slow temps.

Obviously, this only works on chicken parts (and only some parts), not a whole chicken.  Well, I guess you COULD do a whole chicken but I'm not trying that ;)

The only other thing that I have seen come close is when I air dry it in the fridge first and then as it is smoking, mop every 30-45 minutes (1 cup vinegar, 1/2 cup KC Masterpiece original, 3 oz beer, 1.5 tsp salt, 1.5 tsp black pepper, 1 Tbsp hot sauce).  Something about the sugary mop drying on layer after layer seems to make the skin crisper.   Not as good as defatting the skin, but crisper.
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • jeroldharter
    Options
    I agree that there is limited value to low and slow with chicken. One helpful practice is to air dry the chicken for 1-2 days in the fridge. The skin will look translucent and nasty at that point but it turns out fine. Rub with olive oil and then (very lightly) dust with corn starch.

I'll have to try the tip about removing and de-fatting the skin. Nice pics.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    What temp were you smoking at? I've had good results with wings at 250-275, where the fat rendered out and the skin got crispy. I tend to grill the wings now, since I'm impatient.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Charlesmaneri
    Options
    I cook my Chickens at 350 for about 1 1/2 hours until a internal temp of 165 and the Chicken is to die for with nice crispy skin  oh forgot to say thats with the plate setter in here is a photo of what the Chicken looks like when it comes off image
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
  • mattkoehler
    Options

Nibblemethis, thanks for the fat scraping idea. Not sure if I want to do that. I did air dry for 24 hours but didn't get a crispy texture. Caliking - temp is 240 - 255. Other than the skin, I do think low delivers a great tasting chicken. Maybe I'll just forego the skin and baste a little more. BTW - I dry age my own steaks - can't imagine air drying chicken being more disgusting.

matt