Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Chops with MCR

caliking
caliking Posts: 18,727
edited October 2013 in EggHead Forum

The pork chops were marked as porterhouses or something like that. About 1.25" thick - not quite Iowa cut, but they were good. Would have preferred them at 145°F but have to make do with 165°F for the time being. Did them raised indirect at around 400°F in the large. Made spaghetti squash too. The things on top of the chop are whole flash baked or something garlic cloves - I love them, but SWMBO doesn't love me after I've eaten a few :D

Finally got around to making Mickey's Coffee Rub and we really liked it. Used 'San Antonio Chili Powder' from HEB since it had some cumin, oregano and other stuff in it. Added extra cayenne too, since we like the extra heat. Its an awesome rub on pork, and can't wait to try it on chicken or beef. Thanks @Mickey !

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.

Comments

• caliking
    Thanks.  I was likely picking those chops up the same time you were buying your steaks :) 

• Dfishel
    Dfishel Posts: 104
    It's a very small world.
  • RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688
    Nice cook! Did the rub taste like coffee? Not a big coffee fan here but I want to try it.

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• caliking
    RAC said:
    Nice cook! Did the rub taste like coffee? Not a big coffee fan here but I want to try it.
    Nope.  Pretty balanced flavor just a slight  bit sweet.  I'll add more cayenne and some jalapeno powder next time for more heat.  Maybe  some cumin if I'm  using it on beef. 

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    caliking said:
    RAC said:
    Nope.  Pretty balanced flavor just a slight  bit sweet.  I'll add more cayenne and some jalapeno powder next time for more heat.  Maybe  some cumin if I'm  using it on beef. 
    I've gone through about 32oz of the stuff. It doesnt taste like coffee at all. I totally agree with Caliking, add a little heat and its the perfect rub. I really like the color it adds to chicken. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Speaking of Mickey, where is he? Are they limiting computer time at the home cause the codgers are surfing bad stuff?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• travisstrick
    Speaking of Mickey, where is he? Are they limiting computer time at the home cause the codgers are surfing bad stuff?
    Not sure. He gets more and more unpredictable as he gets closer to retirement. I think he actually ate a salad a few weeks ago. 
  • RAC
    Thanks guys. I will give it a try.

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Not sure. He gets more and more unpredictable as he gets closer to retirement. I think he actually ate a salad a few weeks ago. 
    Probably forgot his password..shame really

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• caliking
    @RAC: get this brand of instant espresso -

The granules are fine and even (as opposed to the crystal-like granules of other instant coffees), so it works great for making rub. The granules mix evenly throughout the rub. I found it at HEB, in the coffee & tea section. 

• RAC
    I will pick some up the next time I'm at HEB. Thanks

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• travisstrick
    The brown sugar I used was super moist. I put two huge desiccant packs in the jar but it still caked badly.

I suggest trying to find some dry powder style brown sugar.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    @travisstrick... Been wondering how to keep the spices on the cave dry. Where'd you find the d packs?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Can some one share Mickeys coffe rub recipe with me? Thanks Jerry
  • henapple
    Never mind. Amazon... Ordered 50, a-mazin-smoker and pellets.
  • travisstrick
    henapple said:

@travisstrick... Been wondering how to keep the spices on the cave dry. Where'd you find the d packs?

I stole them from the bugle case on funeral detail.
  • henapple
    Damn...
  • henapple said:

I stole them from the bugle case on funeral detail.
    Ahem... Liberated, appropriated, indefinitely borrowed...
    Flint, Michigan
  • caliking
    @b0atnutz: This is the version that @Mickey usually posts (where is he BTW???)

"Coffee Rub (turkey, chicken, beef & pork) Equal part: Instant Expresso Ground coffee Equal part: Brown Sugar ½ part: Black Pepper ½ part: Kosher Salt ½ part: Garlic Powder ¾ part: Ancho Chili Powder Don't worry on exact, just close on measurement. I used to use turbinado sugar but we like with brown better. This is pulled from MollyShark, Hungry Man, & Richard In Fl then tweaked. I find the ancho chili powder is far less expensive in the bulk spice area than the bottled area ( have used both light or dark version). I make it starting with a half cup Instant Expresso Ground coffee and work from there as it seems to store well if sealed."

I used some chili powder and cayenne instead of ancho. It needs more heat for my taste, which I'll take care of with the next batch.