Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Best natural wood lump charcoal?

2»

Comments

• bicktrav
    bicktrav Posts: 640
    Everyone will say Rockwood and Ozark Oak.  And they're all correct.
    Southern California
  • bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,188
    minniemoh said:
    Was it in the tan bag or the white bag with blue print?  Tan bag was great for me, white and blue not so much.
    The bag I had was tan.

If the dealer still has the tan bags buy a few as long as it hasn't got the blue printing on the bag.  It has been very good for low and slows for most everyone.  All my local dealers have the bags with blue print and it isn't nearly what the other stuff is.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • Used Rockwood for the first time this weekend on a 14-hr overnight cook for a couple butts. I was very pleased with the consistency of the temp. Lasted all 14 hours with plenty of lump to spare. 
  • Haha, this question is like getting on a hotrod forum and asking what the best motor oil is, lol.

I do NOT like Cowboy.  I had three bags that had plastic string in each bag.

"Tell me what you eat, and I will tell you who you are."
     Brillat-Savarin
  • wolfetone said:
    Do those......Ozark Oak and Rockwood Lump add a flavor or are they pretty neutral?

I am in MA. The problem is the shipping, I would need to order $100 to avail of free shipping. Is there any other options out there? 

The petfood store offers free shipping over $45 and those bags are much heavier at 35 lbs each

:-?
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.

• wolfetone said:

Do those......Ozark Oak and Rockwood Lump add a flavor or are they pretty neutral?

I am in MA. The problem is the shipping, I would need to order $100 to avail of free shipping. Is there any other options out there? 

The petfood store offers free shipping over $45 and those bags are much heavier at 35 lbs each

At??

Tiocfaidh!
    Support 26+6=1 United Ireland
  • Haha, this question is like getting on a hotrod forum and asking what the best motor oil is, lol.

I do NOT like Cowboy.  I had three bags that had plastic string in each bag.

I have a favorite motor oil if you like a suggestion?

Ok maybe I didn't spell it out enough...the bags I got from my local BBQ store were absolute ****!
    I'm looking for good stuff
    Tiocfaidh!
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    wolfetone said:
    wolfetone said:

At??

Man, there must be a high markup on pet food because shipping a 35# bag is not "free" to anyone......somebody is paying for it.  Maybe I'm in the wrong business.  If you see my screen name change to "stldogfood", you know I've switched gears.

• wolfetone said:

wolfetone said:

At??

Man, there must be a high markup on pet food because shipping a 35# bag is not "free" to anyone......somebody is paying for it.  Maybe I'm in the wrong business.  If you see my screen name change to "stldogfood", you know I've switched gears.

Yep and it's cheaper than at the local store!! They don't have their same overhead, I'd say its that simple!

Tiocfaidh!