Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

cracked my stone - Help!

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My large egg rests directly on a 16" smooth round red stepping stone from Lowes and then on the lower shelf of my treated wood cart. Last night while fired up at 400 degrees the stone cracked in two. The stone has been in use for 3+ months and I wonder why it cracked now...but anyway...it was extremely hot to the touch. Should I replace it with an exposed aggregate stone so at least there are rocks providing some air flow due to the rough surface? BUT more importantly should I use the little green feet in addition to the stone? I'm adding a hole for my new small egg and have already bought a matching 12" red stone for it, but that can always be used in my handy-dandy katapult to hurl at a neighbor! ^oo^~

Comments

• Mary
    Mary Posts: 190
    one feral kat,
    Wow! I've been using an 18" red patio stone for over a year now with no problems, but I do remember someone saying they had blackened wood under theirs. I'm starting to think my slovenly ways of never fully cleaning out the ashes is the right way to go - insulation on the bottom. I do lots of hi temp cooks. Maybe an agregate or the feet would be good.[p]Mary

• Mike Oelrich
    Mike Oelrich Posts: 544
    one feral kat,[p] Mary's right about the ashes acting as a good insulator. I always leave some in the bottom for that reason. I'd also put in a vote for using the little feet. The air circulating underneath helps a lot.[p]MikeO
  • RhumAndJerk
    RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    one feral kat,
    I have had my small on the standard Red Patio stones for over two years now without any problems. I also use the feet.[p]I vote for the feet.[p]Hope this Helps,
    RhumAndJerk[p]

• BD
    BD Posts: 87
    one feral kat,
    Another vote for the feet ! Even when cooking at high temps
    you can reach under the grill and touch the base of the BGE and it is just warm. The feet must be helping air to circulate under the BGE. I have mine on a wood table and it's fine.

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Mary,
    Leaving a little ash in the bottom makes a big difference and the procrastinator in me just loves it. I clean out my ash after 7-9 cooks (mostly grilling) and I gave up that full disasembly to clean the Egg stuff after the first time. [p]Those cement stones can do many things when hot - rain may have gotten in it and the heat then made it crack - or a flaw in the pour - etc. [p]Tim

• BD,
    with or without a stone as well? It looks like the jury has rendered its opionion and feet it will be! Just glad I didn't put them the same place I "filed" the recipe book that came with it! ^oo^~

• Tim M,
    that's probably the answer as yes it did rain yesterday and the stone, table etc were dripping, let alone the humidity has been nearly 100% for a couple days so the stone undoubtedly was soaked as a sailor on shore leave! ^oo^~

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    one feral kat,
    But then - so what if it's cracked - now it's more stable (less stress on it) and it might never give you another problem. High heat and cement -- hey Woody, that sound like a bad mix to you? heheheehhe[p]Tim

• BD
    BD Posts: 87
    one feral kat,[p]I do not use a stone, just the feet. I worried for a while, but when you can stick your hand right under there in the middle of a cook....? Feet, don't fail me now :)

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Tim M, sounds good to me..and I agree..ash is a super insulator.
    C~W