Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How do You start your Egg

Hello all, I am new to the BGE but am hooked. I am wondering how everyone is starting their BGE. I have been using the starter blocks from BGE have tried the starter strips but not a fan of them. I heard the electric start is nice but don't want to run a cord to start each time. In NJ so winter time can cause an issue with that. Open to suggesting Thank You Jerry

Comments

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    edited October 2013
    I semi soak a single paper towel with olive oil and fold or roll it and use it like a wick, toss a couple pieced of lump on it in the middle front and light both ends.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • zosobao5150
    zosobao5150 Posts: 133
    edited October 2013
    I use the Weber wax cubes or the weed burner.  Weed burner is more fun.  http://www.harborfreight.com/propane-torch-91033.html 
    What size did you buy?
    XL BGE
  • 91% isopropyl alcohol from Walmart.  Biproduct is carbon dioxide and water.  No smell but lights like charcoal lighter.  Cheap too.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• I bought a Large and having fun. Weekends is an eating frensy. Kids need to keep bring friends over a samplers.My two oldest bring their college friends who are always open to good food beats college food.
  • I use my Mapp gas torch it works quite nicely 
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
  • Great feed back thank you.

• KennyLee
    KennyLee Posts: 806
    Propane torch.....light in four spots around the perimeter for 30-45 seconds each.  

LBGE

Cedar table w/granite top

Ceramic Grillworks two-tier swing rack

Perpetual cooler of ice-cold beer

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    works best if you let the oil soak in for a few days and you get a years worth of lighting with a roll of papertowels
    https://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1143722/napkin-and-oil-trick-was-messy

i dont light from top any morre, i just slip the lit napkin in thru the lower vent under the lump
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Gator_Man
    Gator_Man Posts: 138

I use a map torch, BearnzOMatic TS8000 and it is awesome. Also have a weed burner and it also is awesome and will light the egg very fast with sparks flying like crazy, mostly use it when in a hurry to get the egg hot fast.

Gator Man

I'm from North Carolina summer and Okeechobee Florida winter.

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Weed burner for the large and @fishlessman paper towel trick for the mini. I don't like taking the weedburner to the mini. I've done it with a very low flame but I don't feel real comfortable with it. Papertowels are better IMHO.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Weber wax cubes and if I'm in a hurry, I put my briquette chimney on the side burner of my gas grill for 5 minutes and then dump. Works great.
    In the  Hinterlands between Cumming and Gainesville, GA
    Med BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe, Brinkman Dual Zone, Weber Genesis Gas Grill and portable gasser for boating
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    Weed torch. Lights quickly and scares the neighbors!
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • bicktrav
    bicktrav Posts: 640
    BGE starter cubes work very well.  But they are annoying costly and have to be replaced fairly frequently.  I'm probably going to switch to another method.  Been thinking about something like a looftlighter or a torch of some sort, but I don't love the idea of just standing there while the first wisps of acrid smoke waft up into the air.  I can't imagine breathing that stuff is good for you, especially given how often I egg.  That said, if I could get over the paranoia, that seems like the best method.  Soaked paper towels is an interesting idea.  May have to try that.  
    Southern California
  • Weber starter cubes are cheaper than the Green Egg starters, But I have switched to the oil and paper towel method.  I keep a plastic bag with paper towels soaking in oil in my Q storage box.
    Simi Valley, California
    LBGE, PBC, Annova, SMOBot
  • Been using the BGE starter cubes also bicktrav, and thought about trying the looftlighter.  If you do get one let me know how it works for you.
  • bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,188
    I have been using the Rutland starter cubes with good success.  I think there are about 140 in the box and very reasonably priced.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Weber starter cubes. Easier to lug around than the weed burner hooked up top a propane tank.

@WeberWho? - is that a standard HF weed burner? If so, where did you get the adapter for the small bottle and how many lights do you get out of a small bottle?

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • dawsonc61
    dawsonc61 Posts: 14
    edited October 2013
    I use a propane weed burner too. Never going back to the starter cubes. I place my saturated wood chunks at 12, 3, 6, &9 midway to the outer perimeter and light the lump in the center. That way I get good heat-up and as the fire moves out toward the perimeter it hits the chunks and makes really good smoke for the middle of the cook. 

I've own a Looflighter too but I dont like having to run a cord out to the grill each time. The propane allows me to be "off the grid". Plus the propane is 3x as fast. 
  • Philly35
    Philly35 Posts: 858
    Before you go spending big money on something to light your egg, try the paper towel trick! Drizzle a capful or so on, and roll it up and light. I put a few coals on top of the towel. You can do two towels cross crossed, or just one rolled around like an 'o'. If you haven't done this before, I suggest you try it!
    NW IOWA
  • I fill a charcoal chimney with lump put two pages of newpaper underneath, pour about a 1/4 cup of 91% isopropyl alcohol down inside chimney. I wait a minute or two and hit the paper with a "Aim-N-Flame" by Scripto butane lighter.
    Billy
    Wilson, NC
    Large BGE - WiFi Stoker - Thermapen - 250 Cookbooks

• I just bought a LOOFTLIGHTER, and i've used everything else.  Chimney starter was my favorite, but makes a mess.  This LOOFTLIGHTER is a little pricey at $85, but I'm telling you, best $$ I've spent, my fire is roaring and hot in less than 5 minutes, no exaggeration.
  • bicktrav
    bicktrav Posts: 640
    @Bullhalsey - Does the Looftlighter require that you stand there breathing in the acrid smoke as the charcoal first catches?  I'd love to use one, but given how often I egg, I don't like the idea of having to breathe that stuff in.  The advantage in the BGE cubes (and other methods) is that I can light one then walk away without having to inhale those thick gray plumes.  If there's a way around that, I think I'd go for the Looftlighter.  
    Southern California
  • If i am doing a low n slow i just light the egg with half of a starter stick. If i am doing a direct or pizza cook i just use a chimney with newspaper on the bottom to get it going. 
  • I use the BGE electric starter for about 8 minutes for high temp cooks (we live in the South) & a MAP torch, for about 30 seconds in 2 or 3 places in the center of the egg, for low temp cooks. Both work great  & I only have about 10 ft to string an extension cord.
  • Raymont
    Raymont Posts: 710
    91% isopropyl alcohol from Walmart.  Biproduct is carbon dioxide and water.  No smell but lights like charcoal lighter.  Cheap too.
    +1 -- Takes a little practice to get the correct amount, but super easy.

Small & Large BGE

Nashville, TN

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684

I use a weed burner from Harbor Freight......works great.  I used to use MAPP, but the weed burner works better since it covers a larger area (much cheaper, plus MAPP scared me.)

I've tried the LooftLighter / Heat gun method, but they're not nearly as hot as fire, nor as wide coverage as a weed burner.  All I need to do is point the weed burner in the Egg for 20-30 seconds and let it rip.  5 minutes later close the lid and you're ready to cook/

• pab
    pab Posts: 273
    I use the paper towel method that fishlessman posted a link to. Store the towels in a coffee can. They are not nearly as messy when you oil a bunch at a time. Gives the oil time to soak in
    Nerk Ahia LBGE
  • ads75
    ads75 Posts: 391
    I usually use the electric starter, bought a short 6 foot extension cord so I don't have a huge cord all over my deck. I have used the propane torch before also.
    Large BGE, Mini BGE
    Morgantown, PA
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    works best if you let the oil soak in for a few days and you get a years worth of lighting with a roll of papertowels
    https://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1143722/napkin-and-oil-trick-was-messy

i dont light from top any morre, i just slip the lit napkin in thru the lower vent under the lump
    I really like this idea. I've used an oiled paper towel a few times with success. I suppose starting from the bottom gets the fire going a lot faster too. Thanks for sharing. 
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!