Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Redneck Sous Vide part deux

Options
2»

Comments

• njl
    njl Posts: 1,123
    Options
    1 hour, 40min, I'm down from 135F to 123F.  I just scouped out 3.5 cups to put in the microwave and reintroduce to bring it up a few degrees so I can keep it going another 20min or so before searing.
  • njl
    njl Posts: 1,123
    Options
    Ended up going just over 2 hours...then seared in a cast iron pan (one steak at a time...as that's all that would fit in the pan).  I didn't do any pictures...but they looked just as you'd expect from sous vide...consistent color all the way through, with just a tiny band of brown from the searing.  Taste and texture was nothing special.  i.e. steaks from the egg are just as good, and pick up more (smoke) flavor.  The only real advantage I see is the ability to cook the steaks unattended and then hold them at "done and ready for searing" as long as needed.

So...I'm torn.  Not sure if this is something worth spending $200 on for an appliance that'll need to be stored somewhere when not in use.
  • Cymbaline65
    Options
    njl said:
    I decided to use the Coleman 40qt, roughly half filled with water.  It was a lot more work than I'd expected to get the temp up from the hot tap to 135F.  Two bone-in rib-eyes just went in.  I'm planning to let them soak for 2 hours.  I didn't bother calibrating the cooler's heat loss...so I'll check on them in an hour and see what the temp's dropped to.  I thought about using the ET-732, but was worried the humidity might ruin the probe.
    So how did it work out, NJL?
    In the  Hinterlands between Cumming and Gainesville, GA
    Med BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe, Brinkman Dual Zone, Weber Genesis Gas Grill and portable gasser for boating