Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Any advice on cooking striploins on BGE ??

Options
pantsypants
pantsypants Posts: 1,191
edited October 2013 in EggHead Forum
Haven't cooked steak on the egg yet . Looking for advice on temps and best way to sear . I would imagine it would be difficult to get the egg to a good temp after searing steaks. Should I reverse sear ?? Help
Toronto

Comments

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,835
    Options

You are correct about it being difficult to cool down an egg quickly.  As a result, it seems that most here would recommend a reverse sear.  The one thing I had to learn the hard way was that between the resting and the searing at the end, the internal temp will rise 15 - 20 degrees so you should take the steaks off the grill with that in mind.

Caveman is also a great option.  I really like doing this when we have company as it is a good ice-breaker for the conversation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhDTcHFLP7Y

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Hot tubbing is a great option. Vac seal or foodsaver and soak in hot water 100* to 120* for an hour per inch of thickness. Just do a hot sear after.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    Hot tubbing is a great option. Vac seal or foodsaver and soak in hot water 100* to 120* for an hour per inch of thickness. Just do a hot sear after.
    100% in agreement and that produces terrific results time after time.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • daffy1909
    daffy1909 Posts: 498
    Options
    Do the reverse sear!!! U wontbe disapponted :D
  • Little Steven
    Options
    RRP said:
    Gee Ron, I think that is the first time.
    :x

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• RRP
    Options
    RRP said:
    Gee Ron, I think that is the first time.
    :x
    ????? The only time I can ever recall openly disagreeing with you was about the XL. I'm a fan of yours and you know it! Peace, my brother to the North!
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Untwist my friend. It were a joke.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• pantsypants
    Options
    Whats hot tubbing ?
    I ended up getting the egg to 600 and grilling them fro 8 mins
    they were glorious although a little rarer would have been nice
    Toronto
  • Little Steven
    Options

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• pantsypants
    Options
    this sounds crazy to me . How would it taste ?
    Toronto
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Hot tub is good approach, 'cept I don't use the egg, I prefer a CI pan sear for that, always seems a waste to fire the egg up for a 2 minute sear. 
    Reverse sear, with an indirect at 250º allows the meat to take on some smoke and lets the rub work some magic. When you rest, take off at least 10º below target. Dab the meat with a paper towel to reduce surface moisture if present, will hurry the browning, 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Little Steven
    Options
    this sounds crazy to me . How would it taste ?

Like a perfectly done steak. I have a sous vide and don't really care for steaks fully cooked and seared. Hot tubbing at those temps gives you a head start but still tastes like a grilled steak

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• pantsypants
    Options
    Interesting . I will need to try this
    Toronto
  • RRP
    Options
    Interesting . I will need to try this
    Please do and I bet you will never go back to other methods when you want to nail perfect steaks for yourself and to impress company! It is quite simple in that it is merely warming the otherwise cold center up before the sear.