Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Question about new DigiQ

Options
Hello all, first post. I just purchased a DigiQ and am learning to use it. Tomorrow I am set to cook a tri-tip on my large.  I usually sear at 600 or so, then drop down to 350 to finish up. Now that I have the DigiQ can I leave the adapter installed for the sear portion and then plug in the blower while the temp drops? Will it even reach 600 with the adapter on?  Do I need to pull everything off for the sear and then try to reinstall on a hot egg.  Not sure how to manage this.  Suggestions will be appreciated.  I seemed to manage just fine in the past without the controller, but now that I have a new gadget I want to play with it.....

Comments

• mmundy81
    Options
    You can leave the adapter on. If you are having trouble getting the temp up with the adapter you can pump some air through it with a blower, shop vac, hair dryer, etc.
  • DAVAZ
    DAVAZ Posts: 3
    Options
    Thanks much. I have a heat gun guess I'll try that.
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Why not do it reverse sear. Not advisable to leave the probe/probes in at 600. If you do, wrap them with aluminum foil. It's just easier to reverse sear and get the egg up to temp rather than back down.
  • loveTheEgg
    Options
    IMHO cooking at that high of a temp you don't even need the DIgi Q. I think they are best used for 300 and below and for long cooks at low temps. jus sayin!
    Brandon, MS
  • DAVAZ
    DAVAZ Posts: 3
    Options
    I've never tried a reverse sear. Intend to do so but have company tomorrow and don't want to risk disaster. I wouldn't have probes in during the sear. The only reason I want to use the DigiQ is because it is new and I want to learn to use it. Perhaps a tri-tip isn't an ideal meal for experimenting. Thanks for the comments all.