Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Charcoal, Chips, Chunks, Small Logs

Options
These are my choices and how I buy them for the BGE..... I buy Mesquite in 40 pound sacks and I pay about $11.... I buy my chips in 50 pound sacks and my chunks in approximately 50 pound sacks I dump the charcoal in a wheel barrel then I sort out the sizes.... I have a screen in a frame where I sort out the small pieces and the dust falls to the bottom. I save pieces that are 1/2 inch or larger

Comments

• flemster
    flemster Posts: 269
    Options
    Cool sorting system.  I have found that with my HiQ grate I can use those small pieces easily without choking the fire.  I still open a fresh bag for long slow cooks and find that the big chunks have migrated to the top of the bag in shipment so I just build my fire from a fresh bag.  But for all the other cooks I just dump and light.  One of the great benefits I have found of my new HiQ grate. 
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------

Keywords: Gator, Nashvegas, LBGE, Looftlighter, Thermapen in Racing Green (faster than the red one!), PSWOO2, Spider with CI, IQ120