Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Best Beer Butt Chicken Stand

Options
So what's your favorite?

I have a medium BGE & looking for one. In the past, I have just used a "tall boy" can with a pie pan... way to complicated

cheers!
Grom Egger since Sept '11 My Egg Arsenal: Med BGE- Digi PartyQ- Mav ET73- Plate Setter- Stone- Ceramic Grill Works 2 tier- YuengLing-  Florida Panhandle

Comments

• loveTheEgg
    Options
    try spatchcocking...you will never use a can again!
    Brandon, MS
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    +1.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • GreenhawK
    GreenhawK Posts: 398
    Options
    I just use a beer can.
    Large BGE Decatur, AL
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    edited October 2013
    Options
    I have a BGE Sittin' Chicken (received as a gift) which works well, but IMHO, the beer and can are unnecessary.   I like to roast a whole bird indirect with a bit of smoke.  Counter to most of the forum, I like it better than spatchcock.  I find with a  spatchcock (cooked direct on a raised grate) I get greasy smoke from the burning drippings that taints the flavor.  I can do better.  Sorry
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • berndcrisp
    berndcrisp Posts: 1,166
    Options
    I'm with cookinbob. I've tried 6-9 spatchcock and just can't get them right or don't understand how they are supposed to be.

I either roast or use Weber's beer can setup.
    Hood Stars, Wrist Crowns and Obsession Dobs!

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Spatchcock...its fun to say, and its awesome.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Cookinbob said:
    I have a BGE Sittin' Chicken (received as a gift) which works well, but IMHO, the beer and can are unnecessary.   I like to roast a whole bird indirect with a bit of smoke.  Counter to most of the forum, I like it better than spatchcock.  I find with a  spatchcock (cooked direct on a raised grate) I get greasy smoke from the burning drippings that taints the flavor.  I can do better.  Sorry
    Understand completely, if you spatch and get grease smoke, cook indirect with a raised off the setter drip pan. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Beer can chickens are fun for a while,  until you figure out its unnecessary.  Until then,  get a stand from Lowes or HD.  Should be about $5.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Aquacop
    Aquacop Posts: 481
    Options
    Spatchcock - I will never go back, damn near impossible to mess up!
    LBGE 2013 Located in Savannah, Georgia
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    Options
    I do both spatch and whole birds.  The whole birds can come out great but are harder to hit the perfect temp in both breast and leg.  Spatch direct is easier b/c the back part can go over the hotter part of the grill.

I bought a stand a couple years ago and have never used it.  One day I'll use it if I can the chicken on it with the legs up and breast down.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    Options
    I usually do the spatch, but do beer can sometimes because the grandkids think it looks cool. I have both the single and double model from Papa Jeabert's. They are pricing, but really well made. The spikes are great for doing corn on the cob or whole potatoes.

Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Check Bass Pro... I have the double.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • TTUEgghead
    Options
    Weber makes a nice one that comes with a drip pan. That's what I typically use. I am doing my first spatchcock tonight, hope it's as good as advertised. I've always enjoyed beer butt chicken, cooked indirect for 45 minutes at 425-450.

XL BGE, egghead since 2010

Favorites: Beer Butt Chicken, Paella, ABT's, Prime Rib

• HDumptyEsq
    HDumptyEsq Posts: 1,095
    Options
    Put some small potatoes in the drip pan. Oy!

Tony in Brentwood, TN.

Medium BGE, New Braunfels off-set smoker, 3-burner Charbroiler gasser, mainly used for Eggcessory  storage, old electric upright now used for Amaz-N-Smoker.

"I like cooking with wine - sometimes I put it in the food." - W. C. Fields

• Mayberry
    Mayberry Posts: 750
    Options
    I bought into the spatchcock hype for a a while, and still cook that way sometimes. I agree that it does nothing for the chicken retaining moisture. However, cooking a chicken upright allows fat and juices to run out the bottom of the bird. When you cook lying down, the fat and juices gather behind the skin and the skin is soggy unless you let it dry for quite a while...usually overnight. Tonight, I cleaned a chicken, patted dry and put in the fridge for 30 minutes to help dry. Skin was like potato chips and the met was juicy and tender. Im back to cooking chicken on my beer can roaster setup. I just get more consistent results....and i can fit more chickens upright than i can lying down.
    Athens, GA
    XL BGE, Large BGE and RecTec590
  • cortguitarman
    Options
    I use the sittin chicken but usually do spatchcock. I've stopped using beer when I do the beer can style because it doesn't evaporate. Instead I put juice and lime or lemon wedges in it. As for the spatchcock, I actually do them skinless and they are delicious that way.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • Mayberry
    Mayberry Posts: 750
    Options
    Now, skinless spatchcock is some good stuff! I still use beer, mainly out of looking for a reason to crack open a beer while cooking. <:-P I have experimented with different types of beers, hard apple cider, and even fruit juice in the beer can chicken holder, and it the steam does impart some sort of flavor in the meat. Not overwhelming, but it does serve a little purpose.
    Athens, GA
    XL BGE, Large BGE and RecTec590
  • Little Steven
    Options
    I have the Staub which is my favourite. I do my chickens inverted. The Staub has a very narrow spire. I have a Weber as well which is very good.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    I almost always use beer when cooking chickens, it just never goes in the egg.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    I got one that is big that will fit a fosters oil can and also big enough to do a turkey and not fall over. Can also do lots of veggies under the bird. I usually put a large soup can with some beer, onions, rosemary etc into the can and cook that way or just spatch it. Both work spatch is quicker to cook.
  • flynnbob
    flynnbob Posts: 665
    Options

I have done them both ways but the wife likes the Beer Butt Chicken the best. I put all of the ingredients in the can cold and let them heat up on the egg.

imageimage
    Milton, GA.
  • jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    I have the Weber Chicken stand ($35) and a couple of Metal wire ones ($5) that I stick in a 8" pie tin.  I think the metal wire ones with the pie tine are the better value.  Very stable, won't tip over, easy to clean and inexpensive.
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • billyray
    Options
    Papa Jeaberts are some of the nicest ones out there, stainless steel with spikes for taters or corn on the cob. I have both the single and the doulbe. They're pricey, but well made.
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    Options
    ^^^ That Papa Jeaberts looks nice, but you weren't kidding about it being pricey.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • billyray
    Options
    I've had mine for over 10 years, so if you look at a single it's only about $6 a year. :))