Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

DigiQ Temperature trouble. HELP!!!!

So here's the deal. I have the DigiQ DX2 and have used it right around ten times. But right now I am smoking a pork butt and the grill temperature has risen to over 260 when I am trying to cook it at 225. The damper on the fan was half open and the dazy wheel was totally closed. What i did to try and fix the temperature problem is I replaced the dazy wheel with the ceramic top and put the fan damper to about 3/4ths closed. The temp has gone down to 231 but no where lower than that. Is there anything I am doing wrong?

Comments

• texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    Something wrong there.most people say have the dig to 1/4 and half the daisy open very little.

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • I even checked that the grill probe is calibrated before the cook and it was spot on so I'm hoping that this is just a one time deal.
  • troutgeek
    troutgeek Posts: 458
    Well, you really can't cook anything with the top closed, and the VOC's will cause the cook to not taste very well.  As Texaswig mentioned, I set my damper to 1/3-1/4, and only have a sliver opened on the daisy wheel.  260 really isn't too hot for a butt anyhow.  You weren't in any danger zone of over cooking anything.  Closing the top would cause more damage to the end results.
    XL BGE - Large BGE - Small BGE - Traeger Lil' Tex Elite - Weber Smokey Joe
  • mrdnks
    mrdnks Posts: 67
    Never close the top all the way, it will probably be open an 1/8 or so. close your fan damper down further. Mine is a t1/4 or less most the time. 
    How is your gasket? an air leak will make it hard to maintain. 
    I struggled at first, make sure the wind is not blowing at the fan, air can blow past.
    The big thing is give it extra time to build to temp, if it goes over it takes for ever to come back down.
    Fire has to have oxygen to live so it is sneaking in somewhere. 
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    If you are trying to hold 225* you have to equate the opening in the damper to the opening of the lower vent without the digiq. If you are half open that would be roughly 3/8" on the lower vent. I'm just estimating cause arithmetic makes my head hurt. You won't get any substantial draw from the gaskets cause the air pressure is more positive there. I have gone years without gaskets or partial gaskets. You are simply letting more air in than you should.

Steve 

Caledon, ON