Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Love these new "make your own" spice grinders. Anyone have recipes to share?

I love these new grinders....  Well maybe they arent new but I have only had mine for a year or so.  I use a

1p kosher salt

1p pepper corns

1/2p fresh dried oregano, red pepper flakes, dried garlic flakes

Adapted the recipe from carrabas grill spice blend.  Works great with pork, veal, lamb, and epecially poultry.

·

Comments

• Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 27,352
    Is that electric? Can you adjust the grind?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • Big RaguBig Ragu Posts: 146
    Is that electric? Can you adjust the grind?

Manual and yes the grind is adjustible.
    ·
    Am i alone on this grinder thing?  Thought the crew would have some input on these.
    ·
  • SkiddymarkerSkiddymarker Posts: 7,145
    Have seen these, never used one. Currently use a Mr. Coffee spice/coffee grinder. Throw the stuff in and give it a buzz, shake and look through the top to see if the texture and granulation looks right, if not give it another buzz. 
    Have you used the small coffee grinders? How does the manual Rikon compare? 

This is the newer model of mine:

Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
    ·
  • gdenbygdenby Posts: 4,575
    I have a couple of grinders like that, but they are not adjustable. Not as useful as I had hoped.

Keep 'em around for when I want to grind whole spices like fennel, coriander, mustard seeds, etc.

The resulting grounds are somewhat more consistent than what I get from a cheap coffee grinder, and not the dust I get whenever I put stuff in the Blendtec.

Most of my attempts at making blends have been pretty hit or miss. But I like to at least have the option of fresh grinding.
    ·
    coffee grinders? How does the manual Rikon compare?
    Works great, only caution is that the whole peppercorns will skirt away from the grinder blade.  To counter this I have found that pre-cracking the peppercorns helps ensure that the pepper gets into the mill at equal distribution.

Have seen these, never used one. Currently use a Mr. Coffee spice/coffee grinder. Throw the stuff in and give it a buzz, shake and look through the top to see if the texture and granulation looks right, if not give it another buzz. 

·
    The only issue I have had is with the peppercorns avoiding the grinder. I have been giving them a slight crack before I put the spices in the hopper.
    ·
  • Bought a couple when we lived in CA. Have one left that still functions. They were ok but I prefer the coffee grinder, better fine grind and easier to clean.
    Eggin in SW "Keep it Weird" TX
    ·
  • jaydub58jaydub58 Posts: 1,690

I use a coffee grinder when I'm grinding up my cayenne peppers.

I can get them real fine that way.  Sure makes you sneeze a lot.......................

:-j
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
    ·