Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope you all got to celebrate those tasty food holidays last week, we sure enjoyed them! We are even more excited about the beginning of fall, for so many reasons, but mainly for experiencing the cool, crisp air while being outside cooking up the best recipes the season has to offer. We especially love these Beer Pork Tenderloin and Ground Beef Acorn Squash recipes! It's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Himalayan Salt Plate trials.....anybody try one yet?

A client of mine gave me this "Himalayan Salt Plate" yesterday after we closed a real estate deal........I was intrigued and couldn't wait to try it!  He had few recipes, but I just ended up running with what I had on hand--flank steak, mushrooms, onions, & red peppers.

The directions said heat it up slowly in 300-400F.  Scared of the direct flame, I put it on the plate setter with only about 1/3 full firebox.  After waiting 35-40 minutes, the plate was at about 325F and I decided to put the food on.

It was [just] good......not anything better than direct flame on the Egg.  It was salty of course, but I shouldn't have salted the meat ahead of time.  Also, since I put some steak butter on it, it probably soaked up some extra salt out of the plate.  Next time I need let the salt heat up to 400+ as I didn't really get an browning.  This might be a good use of reverse sear.

The one thing that turned out great--a last minute grilled ham and cheese I threw on there for the kids after they said the steak was too salty.  That salt did gave the bread a great crunch and taste.  Will be experimenting with panini's and flatbreads for sure!

I'll be playing with this thing some more, so if anyone has any ideas/suggestions, fire away.

Connect:  Website  -  Facebook  -  Twitter

Comments