Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

beef jerky w/ grid extender is on

Options
SkinnyV
SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
Trying something new since in don't have a can for my fire to keep it low and slow. I placed my mini fire bowl in the large to contain. Put some charcos in there and we will see how it goes. Aimining for 150-170 degrees.

Not sure why my cab bottom round had so much fat but , we will see how it turns out. Still ran out of real estate, see you in 8 hours.

imageimage
Seattle, WA

Comments

• CPARKTX
    CPARKTX Posts: 2,095
    Options
    I'll bet very interested to see how this turns out.
    LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  
  • Deviledegger
    Deviledegger Posts: 271
    Options
    @SkinnyV I'm curious how your jerky was. I made some venison jerky but was nervous to eat it because it was rubbery. Not as "dehydrated" as I'd have liked. It was probably fine. Please full me in because I really want to make this work.
  • SkinnyV
    Options
    @ 5 hrs I threw in some used lump ... Not sure I started with enough. Temp never passed 180 or so. Little greasy but its a hit and will be gone.

Pulled at 6.5 hours. Not sure mini fire bowl helped , anyone done sub 200 degrees with no help in the large?

imageimageimage
    Seattle, WA
  • Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Options
    I did 170 - 175 for 5 hours with just a hi-q grate today. Had about a third of a load of lump left after a 10 hour brisket cook yesterday. Stirred it up a bit, added to it, lit it and as soon as I had a few coals going shut it down to almost nothing. Held 175 great. He one little dip to about 150, opened it a smidge for 5 minutes and that was cleared up, had one spike to 200 for a few minutes when a chunk of cherry got going. Shut it down for a few and that was taken care of...
  • SkinnyV
    Options
    Nice to know so smaller fire bowl was overkill.
    Seattle, WA
  • Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Options
    That seems like a great idea to me - I'm gonna try that just so cut down on lump usage. Hadn't tried going below 225 since I got my hi-q, so was very surprised it held up.
  • frtripp
    Options
    Working on sermon and cooking beef jerky as I write. I have an xl Egg and it is holding at 153 for the last 2 hours. Cooking raised indirect with mostly old lump and a touch of new. No extra work necessary. Just don't overshoot the temp when initially lighting.  
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    You can use briquettes for a lower temp as well.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,527
    Options
    I use old lump in perforated large coffee can to keep temp low.
    canuckland