Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cast Iron - what am I doing wrong??

Options
I have two cast iron accessories, the swing grate and a heavy CI grate. Both rust badly. I store them in the garage, which while not climate controlled is completely out of the elements. I've tried re-seasoning each on multiple occasions, something that worked great on a rusty DTMF that I purchased used. I live in Austin, TX where there is some humidity but not super high levels. Suggestions?
LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  

Comments

• brianwdmn
    brianwdmn Posts: 371
    Options
    Keep them coated with a layer of oil. Spray them after each cook with Pam or something similar.
    Marietta, East Cobb, GA
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options
    what he said...
  • Village Idiot
    Options
    +2.  I live in Austin and don't have that problem.  I wipe with a thin coat of oil after each use.  I used to live in Houston with 90+ humidity.  Same thing ... wipe with oil.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    I have the same problem with the CI grid on the Lodge Hibachi. The high heat seems to burn off the seasoning and it rusts. I oil it after every cook. I've clean burned it, oiled and baked a couple times to reseason, and still end up with rust after every cook. Have given up, and now just steel brush the rust and oil before a cook and it turns out fine.
    ads75 Posts: 391
    Options
    I've tried cast iron before on other grills, I found I don't keep up the maintenance for it, now just use stainless steel. I don't get the same sear marks, but I'm ok with that trade off.
    Large BGE, Mini BGE
    Morgantown, PA
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    My CI pans, Dutch Oven are well seasoned and totally non stick. Just seem to have an issue with the CI grid.
    queued Posts: 50
    Options
    My grandmother would always take a bit of crisco and rub it on her cast iron skillet after cooking.  It was rust-free and like glass when she passed it down to my mother.
    Raleigh, NC
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options
    CPARKTX said:

I have two cast iron accessories, the swing grate and a heavy CI grate. Both rust badly. I store them in the garage, which while not climate controlled is completely out of the elements.

I've tried re-seasoning each on multiple occasions, something that worked great on a rusty DTMF that I purchased used.

I live in Austin, TX where there is some humidity but not super high levels.

Suggestions?

I'm close by at ft hood. My carbon steel wok, two CI skillets and a set of man grates have been on my back porch for over a year. Zero rust on the wok or CI. THE MAN GRATES, however, look like some one urinated on them.

My guess is it's the quality of CI.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • GreenhawK
    GreenhawK Posts: 398
    Options
    Try to spray it with pam when you are done with it.  It has helped me with my daisy wheel, and my dutch oven.
    Large BGE Decatur, AL
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    As many have said, hit it with Pam spray, then pop it back in the egg as it cools down. You want the CI to be warm or even kinda hot so that the oil can get in to the pores of the metal. I'll usually bring the CI DO or whatever into the kitchen the next morning and keep it indoors for storage. I have buckets of chlorine tabs for the pool in the garage, and it does funny things to metal, so I don't leave CI out there.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    caliking said:

As many have said, hit it with Pam spray, then pop it back in the egg as it cools down. You want the CI to be warm or even kinda hot so that the oil can get in to the pores of the metal. I'll usually bring the CI DO or whatever into the kitchen the next morning and keep it indoors for storage. I have buckets of chlorine tabs for the pool in the garage, and it does funny things to metal, so I don't leave CI out there.

Does funny things to your lungs too. I hope you never piss off SWMBO that much to get banished there for the night. Keep the SV on the DL dawg.
  • MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,142
    Options
    If you have the two tier swing grate from cgw it's carbon steel, not cast iron. Same rules apply.
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Does funny things to your lungs too. I hope you never piss off SWMBO that much to get banished there for the night. Keep the SV on the DL dawg.
    If I really pissed her off, the fumes would be the lesser of my problems!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Charlesmaneri
    Options
    hit the Ci with a wire brush to remove all the rust and coat  with oil  and recoat after each cook you should be fine then
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.