Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Baking bread/Holiday meals - Reduce Smoke flavor

Options
For the holidays we want to try and bake some breads in the Egg.  Should be fairly simple - make the bread dough - set the Egg at desired temp/indirect and let it cook.

Question is does the bread come out with a smoky flavor?  How can I reduce the smoky flavor? Also now that winter is coming we may want to try some more "Holiday" type meals that we do not want to taste like BBQ.

Any ideas?

I use Royal oak (Red) exclusively as that is what is available locally (Besides that Cowboy or Frontier junk).

Garnerville, NY

Comments

• Hic
    Hic Posts: 350
    edited October 2013
    Options

Just don't add wood chips/chunks and let the VOC's burn off. Also if you've previously cooked something that you have added wood chips into your charcoal, you may want to clean out all the charcoal and add new, in case any pieces of smoking wood are still in there. - That goes for greasy food too. Any thing greasy and you may just want to do a clean burn before adding the new charcoal.

I bake on the egg and use Royal Oak - Red or Green Egg Charcoal.

Large, medium, small and a mini. Egg'n, golfing, beer drinking, camping and following football and baseball.
    Atlanta NOTP suburbia.

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    edited October 2013
    Options
    Agree on leftover lump. It can/will have grease and drippings on it. Waste a bit of the new lump you add by letting it go a while so it is all burning on top.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,752
    Options
    give the egg extra time to burn clean and choose bread recipes with higher heats seems to work for me. what haliday recipes are you looking at, we pork tourtiere  pie for family xmas parties either egg or oven, have done bread bowls for lobster bisque, for new years the cuban pork lechon asado is preatty good. lobster dip on grilled ciabatta bread for xmas eve or the night before tday
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    Options
    I have no clue on Holiday meals.  Just some have asked if the Egg can make Non-BBQ/Smoke  tasting meals.   That thread will come up soon.  Just want to get techniques down to reduce the smoke flavor first.

Garnerville, NY
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    If you have leftover lump that doesn't have any other wood added and doesn't have grease drippings in it (caught by PS/drip pan) it already has the VOC burned off. I like to collect good used lump and add some new with it for these types of cooks.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,752
    Options
    rob, for clean smoke you either have to wait it out or get the temps up past 500 for a few minutes then back the temps down and just make sure to smell it before the food goes on. avoid cowboy lump right now, lots of unburnt pieces in the bag which is creating more smoke flavor
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,341
    Options
    Another factor in the lump only smokiness is the brand of lump.  I have found Rockwood and WGWW to be more smoke-neutral than RO (and it's other brand names) and Ozark Oak.  I have not used other brands in a few years.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Searat
    Searat Posts: 80
    Options
    Another thing to think about is when. I do bread at the end of a run so the smoke chucks are usually burned up and I'm just seeing heat come out of the Egg. If you're starting the Egg just for bread, I'd agree with what's already said, use only lump and let it burn off the smoke before adding the dough.
  • GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    Options
    What about bread cooked in a covered Dutch oven? ;;)
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    Options
    I did remember the WGWW was less "Smoke" flavor.  Unfortunately I can get that or any other good lump locally.

Garnerville, NY