Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wanting to cook a butt over night to bring to work the next day

Hello everyone!  Since getting my L-BGE my co-workers are wanting something from it.  I wanted to cook a butt to take to work with me.  However, my issue is that I have do not have a DigiQ (or other device like it) yet to cook over night with worries. 

What I planned on doing is putting the butt on around 6pm (or earlier) the day before.  I generally go to bed around 11pm.  So I would have that time to keep checking temps.  I would get up around 5:30am, wrap it in foil and place in a cooler to take to work.  I will pull the pork at work. 

My questions and help that I need is what actions could I take to ensure the butt is cooked properly (well, somewhat speaking)?  Would I need to get up every once in a while to check the temp (I think I know this answer :), but I like my sleep).  The DigiQ would really come in handy but right now I just cannot justify it and there was BBQing before DigiQ.  Any help would be appreciated. 
------------------------------
Thomasville, NC
My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
Instagram
Facebook
My Photography Site

Comments

• Instead of a Digi-Q, try getting a Maverick Thermometer.  It has an alarm function that will only go off it temps reach the min and max that you set for them.  That way you can sleep and only be awakened if there is a problem.  I forget how much i paid for mine, but it was around $50.  I use it quite alot so it's a good investment (for me at least).  Just be careful with the probes as some people have had issues with them.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    How big?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    +1 on the maverick.  It will give you some piece of mind while cooking an over-nighter. 

Another suggestion if you don't already have one is a Hi-que grate or one from @StlCharcoal (just PM him).  Both of these grates provide better airflow and reduce the chances of ash building up and your fire going out. 

If you don't get a new grate, then use a "wiggle  rod".  Get a piece of steel rod from the hardware store and bend an "L" on the end.  Before you go to bed put it through the draft door and poke up through the holes in the charcoal grate and wiggle around to get some of the ashes out.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    edited October 2013
    if you're going to shell out the cash for a maverick you might as well just get a stoker. I have an auber stoker, the basic model, and it ran me about $150? But it some of the best money I have spent. I have the model with no bells and whistles, but I still can sleep without worry.

I have also had to email their technical support guys a few times and their customer support has always been great.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    if you're going to shell out the cash for a maverick you might as well just get a stoker. I have an auber stoker, the basic model, and it ran me about $150? But it some of the best money I have spent. I have the model with no bells and whistles, but I still can sleep without worry. I have also had to email their technical support guys a few times and their customer support has always been great.
    I hear what you are saying, but a simple controller only measures the egg temp and controls it.  It doesn't measure the temp of the meat or give you the ability for remote monitoring.  It may have alarms...but unless you are sleeping by the egg that doesn't help much. 

I think the maverick still adds value.  I have a simple controller and when I do an overnighter I use both.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    @smokeypitt I hear you, it is really a chicken versus the egg argument. I personally found myself checking the egg temperature more than the meat temperature.
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    If you put it on at 6pm and check temp before you go to bed around 11pm - DON'T PANIC when you see how quickly the meat temp has increased.  It will stall (sometimes for a couple of hours) and you will be able to get a good nights sleep without the meat finishing at 1am. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684

The cheapest and first fix is the grate.......that will solve most of your problems.

After that, get a temp controller.  I always just use a temp controller whether I'm home or gone, it does the work for me.  The remote temp monitor is nice to keep an eye on the temps, but if I'm gone. little good it does me--and if I'm at home, last thing I want to do at 3am is stoke the fire, then wait to see if the new temp setting is holding.  Screw that!  Hook up the blower and let it do the work.

Finally, if you want a something to set on the nightstand for piece of mind, then get the remote monitor.  I just got one for myself--I haven't used it yet, but it will be a nice toy.  Some of the higher end temp controllers have this built in through WiFi.

I manufacturer fire grates, and am a dealer for Maverick Products, BBQ Guru, Auber, and Pitmaster.......I can put together whatever kind of package to best suit your BBQ style.  Just send me an email and we'll figure it out.  Naked Whiz has some awesome write ups on all the units, if you want to do some reading first.

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168

Perhaps I missed a few factors in your cook plans, calibrated dome temp for cook and size of butt.  Both will contribute to the general duration of the cook.  But your plan to get the BGE stable and chugging along well before going to sleep should mitigate any temperature concerns with the BGE itself-said another way the BGE dome temp should be steady (as long as you aren't chasing it) and will stay there for the cook duration.  Most BGE's have a "sweet-spot" for low and slows in the 240-260*F range and will run there without operator interference for many, many hours.

Any pork butt will cook at it's own pace, so attempting to time the finish-line is problematic at best.  Thus the trick of making sure it is finished by 5:30 AM.  Not sure when you leave for work but giving yourself some time at the end to either power the cook home or FTC will reduce the stress level.  FWIW-

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    henapple said:
    How big?
    Not a large butt, maybe 6-7lbs. Not feeding everyone, just something to "snack" on.   We have a monthly birthday celebration for my team (as well as another team) for birthdays.  Would be nice to have something different. 
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • tarheelmatt

The cheapest and first fix is the grate.......that will solve most of your problems.

After that, get a temp controller.  I always just use a temp controller whether I'm home or gone, it does the work for me.  The remote temp monitor is nice to keep an eye on the temps, but if I'm gone. little good it does me--and if I'm at home, last thing I want to do at 3am is stoke the fire, then wait to see if the new temp setting is holding.  Screw that!  Hook up the blower and let it do the work.

Finally, if you want a something to set on the nightstand for piece of mind, then get the remote monitor.  I just got one for myself--I haven't used it yet, but it will be a nice toy.  Some of the higher end temp controllers have this built in through WiFi.

I manufacturer fire grates, and am a dealer for Maverick Products, BBQ Guru, Auber, and Pitmaster.......I can put together whatever kind of package to best suit your BBQ style.  Just send me an email and we'll figure it out.  Naked Whiz has some awesome write ups on all the units, if you want to do some reading first.

Thanks, I will send you a note soon! 
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • 3sheets
    3sheets Posts: 81
    henapple said:
    How big?
    Not a large butt, maybe 6-7lbs. Not feeding everyone, just something to "snack" on.   We have a monthly birthday celebration for my team (as well as another team) for birthdays.  Would be nice to have something different. 
    Count on about 1 hour per pound as a guide. You may be done before you go to bed.

Location 33.537588, -83.969298 (33.5 miles and 41 minutes SE of the Mothership)

• tarheelmatt
    lousubcap said:

Perhaps I missed a few factors in your cook plans, calibrated dome temp for cook and size of butt.  Both will contribute to the general duration of the cook.  But your plan to get the BGE stable and chugging along well before going to sleep should mitigate any temperature concerns with the BGE itself-said another way the BGE dome temp should be steady (as long as you aren't chasing it) and will stay there for the cook duration.  Most BGE's have a "sweet-spot" for low and slows in the 240-260*F range and will run there without operator interference for many, many hours.

Any pork butt will cook at it's own pace, so attempting to time the finish-line is problematic at best.  Thus the trick of making sure it is finished by 5:30 AM.  Not sure when you leave for work but giving yourself some time at the end to either power the cook home or FTC will reduce the stress level.  FWIW-

I think your "missing a few factors" is my concern.  I have not cooked anything long on my BGE yet so I do not know how long it will chug along.  Your comments have soothed my worries somewhat. 

I wake up around 5:30am and leave my house around 6:45am.  I can adjust my getting up time too. 

My thought, like I said was to have the temp from the dome solid at the time I go to bed (around 250°) clear the grate some and then go to bed.  I don't want to interrupt the house to much.  I would possibly go out once to make sure its still steady. 

After that my plan was to temp the meat, wrap in foil, and place in a cooler (as soon as I wake).  Then carry to work to pull when I get there. 

I hope I have cleared some confusion.  I am still a newb. 
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168

@tarheelmatt-with 250*F on the dome (make sure it is calibrated) and a 6-7# butt.  I would plan for around 1.5-2 hrs/# so a cook-time of about 12 hrs or so on average.  If finished early then you can foil, towel and cooler til time to pull at work.  You can easily take the butt to the low 200's before removing from the BGE.  Best finish indicator is when the bone pulls clean.

Clean out all the old lump from the BGE and read this link about loading lump for an extended duration cook (go with the higher temp of 250 but the article is a good primer.)  http://www.nakedwhiz.com/recipes2.htm#pork  Focus the the Elder Ward piece and check out TNW's Butt cook.  And load up into the beginning of the fire ring to ensure you have plenty of lump.   

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Do you have an oven available to you at work?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980

Light your egg at 9, Yes its early, but to ease your mind let it come up to temp and be stable. Add your meat at 11 just before bed. As stated count on 1-1.25 hours per pound, based on 260-270 dome. Preheat your cooler. Pull meat off the EGG just before you leave.

Don't be nervous just stabilize the egg and let it do its thing. Don't forget the fresh buns and coleslaw. Good luck.

• tarheelmatt
    Do you have an oven available to you at work?
    No, I don't. 
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • If you have a smartphone, you can try the iGrill. It has one probe for the grill and one for the meat. You can set a range for your grill temp and it will alarm your phone if it leaves those ranges. It takes a little fine adjusting but last time I did a low and slow I got a good 6 hours before the grill temp got too low.
  • tarheelmatt
    jmcnutt5 said:
    If you have a smartphone, you can try the iGrill. It has one probe for the grill and one for the meat. You can set a range for your grill temp and it will alarm your phone if it leaves those ranges. It takes a little fine adjusting but last time I did a low and slow I got a good 6 hours before the grill temp got too low.
    Looks neat!  Bad thing it appears its only for Apple products.  And I thought you said "if you have a smartphone"?  :)  Lol.. I am an Android fanboy.. Sorry Had to take the shot. 
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • tarheelmatt
    The Maverick looks pretty good and I think I may order one of those for now.  My hopes is Christmas is coming around and I hope to have a DigiQ under the tree!
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • jmcnutt5 said:
    If you have a smartphone, you can try the iGrill. It has one probe for the grill and one for the meat. You can set a range for your grill temp and it will alarm your phone if it leaves those ranges. It takes a little fine adjusting but last time I did a low and slow I got a good 6 hours before the grill temp got too low.
    Looks neat!  Bad thing it appears its only for Apple products.  And I thought you said "if you have a smartphone"?  :)  Lol.. I am an Android fanboy.. Sorry Had to take the shot. 

Haha good one. I looked on their website and it looks like they have an Android app...even if it is an inferior system ;)
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    The Maverick looks pretty good and I think I may order one of those for now.  My hopes is Christmas is coming around and I hope to have a DigiQ under the tree!

Got a whole case of ET-732's sitting on my desk if that's what you're looking for.......

Send me an email and we'll talk about the DigiQ vs. the other's available.

• CP92
    CP92 Posts: 318
    Give yourself some peace of mind.  Do a test cook over the weekend during the day.  That way you'll know what/how your Egg runs.  I wanted to do the same as you, but figured I'd work the kinks out before committing to doing something for others.  Then you can rest easy the night you try it.
    Chris
    LBGE
    Hughesville, MD