Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone enjoyed their Fourth of July weekend and is excited for more warm weather grilling! This week, we’ll be making these two burgers: Stuffed Portobello Mushroom and Caribbean Chicken, and also eating lots of these Ice Cream Sandwiches in honor of National Ice Cream Month! It's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Firsts in Pork Chop History!

This was my first pork chopped cooked on the Egg and my wife's first pork chop that she liked.

This past weekend I picked up a couple "porterhouse" pork chops from Central Market. Just an aside but what genius decided to use beef cut names for pork?  Anyway, I love pork chops but my wife hates them.  When I questioned her about her hatred of pork chops - I mean, who can hate pork chops?!?!?! - she said that they are flavorless with the texture of gritty shoe-leather.  Ah-Ha!  So she was served dried-out pork chops as a child and doesn't really know how good they can be.  I finally convinced her to give the good old chop another try and I assured her with me cooking it on the Egg it would be different this time.

So this morning before leaving for work I put the chop (a 1+ pounder that we would be splitting) in brine in the fridge.  I got home, started the Egg, and pulled the chop from the brine after a nice 9 hour soak.  Here's the chop after being rinsed and sprinkled with Dizzy Pig:

Next up - start the beer reduction glaze.  And yes, just like you don't cook with wine you wouldn't drink, you don't cook with bad beer either - that's Franconia Dunkel (local microbrewery in McKinney, TX). For a reduction like this you do not want to use a beer with a lot of hops because the bitterness will get so concentrated it will make the food you apply it to inedible. 1 bottle of beer and about a teaspoon of honey:

After achieving nuclear temp on the egg I throw the chop on for a good sear.  90 seconds a side:

I pulled the chop, covered, and dropped the temp of the egg.  Then it was back inside to finish the beer reduction glaze.  Here's what's left - the Tigger bottle-opener is there for scale.  I'd say it's about 2-3 oz:

After I got the Egg's temp down to 400 degrees I put in some apple wood chunks and it was back on the grill with the chop.  6 minutes a side (give or take) then I applied the glaze to side 1, flipped, and applied the glaze to the other side:

Pulled the chop and did a final temp check - it went up a little less than I expected during the last 2 minutes but hey, it'll coast up at least another 5 degrees right? :)  And besides, even if it's just shy of the FDA's recommended 145 there's a reason it's called a "recommendation" and not a "law". :P

Finally it was dinner time.  I cut the chop away from the bone, gave my wife a good bone (because she really likes it) , and plated half of the chop with broccoli and risotto.  Yum!  And the chop really wasn't this pink in person.  I think my iPhone did a less than stellar job on this pic with color temperature and saturation.  I mean, the chop was pink, but it wasn't raw like this picture would indicate.

So after making a pretty darn good chop did I change my wife's opinion on pork chops?  Will we be eating more of them?  Should I start thawing the other chop I got this weekend?  You betcha!  It's amazing what a little time, a little knowledge and a Big Green Egg can do to reverse years of chop abuse! :D

Comments