Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Eggcessories Cart

Comments

• tdub4
    tdub4 Posts: 124
    Well, I accidentally hit the enter key before I was ready to post and I cannot edit it!

After searching around and looking at the various tables and carts, I finally have an Eggcessory Cart that I can put next to my Egg! I did not want a full table due to space, but I definitely needed some kind of cart to hold my extra stuff and sit next to the Egg when cooking. Thanks to my dad, we were able to put this cart together (he did all of the work, I was there for moral support - thanks Dad!).

In addition to space underneath for lump,  grids, Plate Setter, wood chunks, etc. he also added a shelf for gloves and hand tools. I picked up a small plastic container to store that stuff on the shelf. Tonight is the first cook with it and it makes a huge difference! We used cedar for the wood and found someone to cut a granite remnant for the top.
  • brzelt
    brzelt Posts: 62

Awesome job...

I would pay most of what I have to have my dad back to help me do these projects...  He was fun to do projects with.  I'm sure your dad enjoyed it just as much.  Give him a big long hug in case you forgot.....
    Bruce
    L BGE
    Kennesaw, GA
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Looks terrific!

I have been thinking about building something similar. I think @Solson005 built a somewhat bigger version.This looks like a great way to keep eggcessories out of the elements plus giving you some prep space.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • brzelt
    brzelt Posts: 62
    BTW.... thanks for the idea.  I had thought I was going to build a full table but thinking about it now, your way may be better!
    Bruce
    L BGE
    Kennesaw, GA
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    Nice job!  It's a good looking cart!
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • Nice cart, thanks for the idea
  • tdub4
    Thanks for the comments. It was very nice cooking out the other night and having that extra table space! Was very convenient and now have a place to put stuff as opposed to the patio end table or outdoor dining table. My wife appreciates that!!
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Nice eggcessory cart. I like the idea. Although I duo have space I move my egg around with the nest so this cart idea is a great idea and mobile for food prep. Good job!
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Goatsegg
    Goatsegg Posts: 113
    Great idea and nice looking cart!

-The Goat
    Marietta, GA
    XL BGE

• YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Love it.  Looks great and functional.

Nice patio area and backyard as well.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• Looks great! Out of curiosity, where did you get that nest from?
    Pentwater, MI
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    Very nice cart! @caliking is right I built a similar one, I really like the stone top you have there, I just have cedar on mine and roll it next to the house when not in use. image

Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • tdub4
    Thanks for the feedback. I did get inspiration from @Solson005 when I started this process back in February (that is...started the process of thinking what I wanted to do). So thank you Solson005! I also had found a picture another Egghead had posted online in his own blog that was an open air concept, so I "borrowed" some of his ideas with Solson005's cart and came out with the finished product.

@ShadowNick the nest actually came from the retailer that I purchased the Egg from. They had the traditional nest as well as a 3rd party offering like the one I have. They also had some bigger versions from that same company with shelf space underneath. I am in Dallas but have seen a few retailers here in the area that have those versions as well. Maybe it is a regional thing?
  • tkleager
    tkleager Posts: 539
    @tdub and @Solson005 I really like your eggcessories cart ideas and after some consideration want to build one instead of a table.  Could either of you or both give me an idea of your dimensions and materials you used.

Thanks.
    No Name City, just between Scottsbluff and Mitchell, NE   Crown!  More Crown!
    Egg: 1 Large with 18" BGE CI Grid, Plate Setter, Lg V-Rack
    Maverick ET-73 and Bear Paws
    Eggheads Everywhere Map
    Eggheads Everywhere Stat Sheet
    Barbecue is the answer, but while you’re waiting for the answer, sex raises some pretty good questions. – Woody Allen
  • @tdub and @Solson005 Both of you have great looking and functional carts. I think I'll move in that direction instead of a table as well!
    1 BGE, 4 mouths to feed.....

Dothan, AL
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    @tkleager I do not have any plans, I just made it roughly the size I thought I would need. I will try to dig up some older posts where I have talked about it. 

Thanks @SoutherSmokin it works great for the growing eggcessory collection! 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • Tspud1
    Tspud1 Posts: 1,486
    Here is a beverage cart to match a table with cooker in middle
  • Tspud1
    Tspud1 Posts: 1,486
    Nothing but storage
  • tjosborne
    tjosborne Posts: 529
    Nice cart, I like it. How much did the materials cost if you don't mind?
    middle of nowhere- G.I. NE
  • There is nothing like home made cart and projects with father / son are great. I am getting lazy so for a cabinet - not rolling - that does not need maintenance, I got a couple of these:

• tdub4
    @tkleager and @SouthernSmokin thanks for the comments...appreciate it.

As far as dimensions, as @Solson005 mentioned we did not have any plans per se, we kind of made it up as we went along. That being said, I did have some thoughts around the fact that I wanted to be able to put the 18" grid inside the cabinet either laying down or standing on its side (and since 18" is the maximum size for the Large Egg, I knew that would be the same for other accessories). If you look at the picture you can see that I have room on the left to stand it on its side and slide it in or lay it down on the bottom. I have found that I always lay it down on the bottom as I have used the tall side for the lump bag, wood chunk bags, etc.

Here are the outside dimensions of the cart without the stone top (this is just how it came out):

Length (left to right facing the front) - 31-3/8"
    Width (front front to back) - 29-7/16"
    Height (without wheels and before stone top) - 31" (we used 3" wheels as their base was just right to screw into the bottom of the 4x4)

Granite top - I found a fabricator on Craigslist that had a remnant that he cut for me:
    Length (left to right facing front) - 31-3/8"
    Width (front to back) - 29-7/8"

I recently got rid of the bill of goods for the wood, but we went to a cedar shop for all of the wood. We used 4x4s for the legs, a tongue-and-groove cedar paneling for the doors/sides/back, 2x4s for the framing at the top and bottom of the 4x4s all the way around (secured between the legs with the paneling attached to that), and 1x6 for the inside "floor" as well as the floor of the shelf. We also had some 2x3s used for a middle support across the back for framing as well as used to create the shelf.

One of the best tools we used was a pocket hole jig made by Kreg and purchased at Lowes (Amazon also has them). VERY easy to use and VERY clean look. We used these pocket holes to conceal how the framing was secured to the 4x4s. If you go this route pick up the Kreg clamp as well, it made it go faster.

Finally we sanded it down, put on a few coats of polyurethane protection and added the hardware.

As I am sure those with tables can attest, this is one of my favorite EGGcessories! It is so convenient to have the additional storage and table space when cooking. The granite top helps with the hot plates and other "things" waiting to be put on or just coming off. My only regret is that we didnt do it sooner!

Hope this helps, if you have any questions let me know. 

• tdub4
    Correction on the granite top measurement....that should have been 33-3/8 on the width.
  • tkleager
    tkleager Posts: 539
    @tdub4

Thanks man that is awesome for the measurements!  It is too cold around here to do anything today but watch the Chargers and draw up my idea.  I had been thinking a 4 ft cart, but after consideration last night at that length I should just build a table.  I stopped by our local Egg store on Friday and talked with on of my friends who did the table with a granite top.  He told me it take a lot of work to get it out of his garage and he wishes it was smaller.  Which solidified the idea of the cart.

Thanks also for the tongue and groove idea.  I had plans to use cedar pickets, but I think that will look a lot better.  I'm still in debate over the granite top or maybe a rough cedar top like @Solon005 with maybe a tile inlay.

Thanks for all the help and ideas.
    No Name City, just between Scottsbluff and Mitchell, NE   Crown!  More Crown!
    Egg: 1 Large with 18" BGE CI Grid, Plate Setter, Lg V-Rack
    Maverick ET-73 and Bear Paws
    Eggheads Everywhere Map
    Eggheads Everywhere Stat Sheet
    Barbecue is the answer, but while you’re waiting for the answer, sex raises some pretty good questions. – Woody Allen
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    brzelt said:

Awesome job...

I would pay most of what I have to have my dad back to help me do these projects...  He was fun to do projects with.  I'm sure your dad enjoyed it just as much.  Give him a big long hug in case you forgot.....

. Well said @brzelt
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • tdub4
    For some reason the pictures were deleted. Thought I would add them again in case anyone needed a reference point.