Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone enjoyed their Fourth of July weekend and is excited for more warm weather grilling! This week, we’ll be making these two burgers: Stuffed Portobello Mushroom and Caribbean Chicken, and also eating lots of these Ice Cream Sandwiches in honor of National Ice Cream Month! It's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

The journey- possible brisket fail

Tried my first brisket tonight after a lot of reading on the how to. Followed http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.ca/1996/03/brisket.html. Picked up a small flat (probably), Black Angus beef, about 1 lbs. Did sea salt, pepper, cayenne with a mustard / Worcester slather. Set the BGE at 210F (dome thermometer was calibrated about 2 months ago). Some wood chip, plate setter in, grill and drip pan check, brisket on at 2:00 pm. 

At 4:00 turn it up to ~280-3000F. At 5:30 first check, thermometer shows 105-110F, very stiff. No worries, it's suppose to do that, right? Inject beef broth with a little oil and vinegar (was simmering when I did the injection). Now cooking at 300-320F. At 6:30 still not over 120F in the middle and putting the thermometer in and out is like wrestling a stick from a dog. Ok, no prob, wrap in foil, more broth in the foil and open the vent to 350F. 8:00 pm, brisket now at 145F and still stiff as a board. Crap. Now what. Don't want to cook it any more, it's been on for 7 hours.  I'll try the FTC, let's hope that finishes and tenderizes the meat but we aren't having brisket tonight.

Thoughts, little help if you have any ideas.

Comments