Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

A Photo Essay of my first ever attempt at ribs.

Options
FearlessTheEggNoob
FearlessTheEggNoob Posts: 888
edited October 2013 in EggHead Forum
I tried a 3 - 2 - .5 method on 2 slabs of babybacks @ 250. I love the dry rub ribs at Smokey Moe's in Austin so I wanted to aim for that result.
I documented my settings with my cell phone so I wouldn't forget later, so I thought I would share.

I made a smokebox out of a tin can because I didn't want my apple chips to disintegrate in the fire immediately.

Here it is smoking away... I learned this trick from some ol' boy while waiting my turn on the gasser at the Homestead Suites.

I tried a couple different rubs and partially sauced at the end so as to get more empirical information on a single cook.

Dialed in my setting on the Guru. It held rock solid unless I opened the egg to have a peek.

Used this for the daisy wheel opening...

Set the blower opening like so...

Here they are all ready to come off the Egg!

Here they are plated along with my fastidiously prepared sides. lol
I have to say they tasted as good or better than any I have ever had. I suppose I only saved a few bucks cooking them myself, but the best part is I can pick out the leanest ribs I can find and be consistent on my quality.

Only thing I would change is maybe go to a 3 - 1.5 - .5 and see if they hold together a wee bit better for the cutting. The bone wanted to pull out a little too easily.
Gittin' there...

Comments

• Chris_Wang
    Chris_Wang Posts: 1,254
    Options
    Did you put anything in the foil when you wrapped them?

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

• FearlessTheEggNoob
    Options
    The ones I sauced got Sweet Baby Ray's in the foil. Nothing went in with the dry rubs. I'm open for any and all suggestions!
    Gittin' there...
  • Chris_Wang
    Chris_Wang Posts: 1,254
    Options
    They look great from here

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Try honey in the foil and sauce the finishing step. Why did you cut the ribs?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    I would not choose the leanest anything for BBQ. The fat is crucial to producing moist and tender results. The 5-5.5 hours seems a bit long to me. I would shoot for 4 - 4.5 depending on the meat and time in foil.
  • FearlessTheEggNoob
    Options
    henapple said:
    Try honey in the foil and sauce the finishing step. Why did you cut the ribs?
    Easier to eat 1 rib at a time.
    Gittin' there...
  • thailandjohn
    Options
    The entire plate of food looks great
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    Nice cook Fearless, I am craving ribs now.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • gerhardk
    gerhardk Posts: 942
    Options
    I think your smoke box isn't really necessary.  Your ribs look good, I cooked ribs on Sunday as well and they were on for 5 1/2 hours as well.

Gerhard
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    The ribs look great.  Did you have a preference between the dry and the wet ribs?  If they wanted to fall apart too easily then I agree with your logic of cutting back on the foil stage. I have found that 3-1.5-.5 typically works well for my taste.   

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• FearlessTheEggNoob
    edited October 2013
    Options
    I preferred the dry with sauce on the side; the Carolina Style Rub Some Butt edging out the Bone Sucking Sauce rub. But If I made some for a get together I would probably go sauced as that was darn good too, and is what most people probably expect when being served ribs.

My issue with scattering chips happens when using the plate setter. I tried bringing everything up to temp and adding chips around the openings of the plate setter and it was uncomfortable, messy, with smoke billowing in your face burning your eyes while you are trying to add food... Just a real PITA. Probably make a great utube video! but a real PITA none the less.

I thought about pre-stageing the food on the grid off to the side and try to execute things wicked fast, but I decided I don't like handling a dangerously hot plate setter to get it out of the way momentarily to add chips.

So I devised the FearlessTheEggNoob-zero-cost-gas-grill-tin-can-smokebox-egg method.
    FTENZCGGTCSBEM for short. lol

I have the can at-the-ready full of chips as well as a decent amount of water. When things are up to temp and running clean smoke, I placed the can into the center of the coals, added my ambient temperature plate setter, then the food. The water amount delayed the chip burning more than long enough for me to arrange the food, get my noggin out of the way, and close the lid.
    Gittin' there...
  • hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    Options

I love dropping my chips or chunks into the fire and then arranging up the drip pan, grate and food stuffs. I love smelling like smoke. SWMBO doesn't like it so much, but she never complains when shes eating.

• roblew
    roblew Posts: 78
    Options
    I have yet to do ribs on my Egg but in my smoker I do a 3-2-1. When I wrap my ribs in foil I will put either Bud Light or apple juice in my foil before wrapping the ribs. I have found that it makes them very tender. I just purchased my Egg at Eggtoberfest and I am loving it. Ribs are definitely on the cook list.
    Ringgold GA LBGE
  • FearlessTheEggNoob
    edited October 2013
    Options
    Actually, the tin can thing is turning out to be one of my better ideas. I did some split breast chicken at 400 yesterday and the apple chips were still going strong an hour later. I set the can directly on the cast iron lump plate, filled it with chips and some water, then added lump around it. I was able to start the fire, get things stabilized, and add my food before the smoke came billowing out. Definately used less chips and lasted longer.
    Gittin' there...
  • ShadowNick
    Options

Only thing I would change is maybe go to a 3 - 1.5 - .5 and see if they hold together a wee bit better for the cutting. The bone wanted to pull out a little too easily.
    Try just going 5 hours straight without the foiling.  Foiling steams them, and can make them a little too fall off the bone.  When I do ribs, I dial in the temp at 250, toss them on, and don't open the lid again for about 4.5 hours till i start checking for doneness and they come out perfect every time.  Never found a need to foil at all.
    Pentwater, MI
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    I just tried my first non foiled ribs this weekend as well and I must say I will never foil again
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• roblew
    roblew Posts: 78
    Options
    I will try the going non foil this weekend 
    Ringgold GA LBGE
  • rmhendoo
    Options
    The tin can is a simple but ingenious idea. Thanks, will try that one soon.