Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Rinse after brining chops?

I'm doing pork chops for the first time tonight on the Egg.  I've been brining them since this morning with just a simple salt/sugar/water brine and was wondering how many of you rinse off and pat dry after brining vs. just patting dry.  I can't imagine why there'd be any good reason to rinse off (the amount of salt you get rid of by rising vs. just patting dry seems like it wouldn't be very much) but perhaps there's something I'm missing.

I plan on doing a quick high heat sear then grill at ~400 F until I hit 135-140 internal according to my super-fast white-lighting Thermapen. :)

Comments

• shtgunal3shtgunal3 Posts: 3,722
    I always rinse. Too salty for me if you don't and I love salt.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• SkiddymarkerSkiddymarker Posts: 7,747
    Always rinse. 
    Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
  • A quick rinsing won't hurt anything, they'll still be juicy once cooked.

Cherry Hill, NJ
  • GriffinGriffin Posts: 7,541
    Rinse

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• New2QNew2Q Posts: 164
    Looks like the rinses have it.  Thanks guys!
  • GrillmagicGrillmagic Posts: 1,519
    Rinse, pat dry, EVOO and favorite seasoning.
    Dimondale, Michigan XL BGE
  • RLeeperRLeeper Posts: 480
    I'm in the always rinse camp also
    Extra Large, Large, and Mini. Tucker, GA
  • CanuggheadCanugghead Posts: 5,653
    edited October 2013
    I brined couple of turkey leg quarters for the first time yesterday.  We're not big on salt, so I reduced the salt in the recipe by 50%, brined for 3.5 hours, rinsed repeatedly, even soaked for a few minutes.  I then let them 'stand' in the fridge for few hours (heard about letting the brine distribute or something like that, too technical for me) before cooking indirect @ 350 till internal temp 180. Turned out quite nice and just right salt-wise.

After rinsing if you want to be sure, cut a small piece to fry and taste.
    canuckland
  • SkiddymarkerSkiddymarker Posts: 7,747
    Rinse, pat dry, EVOO and favorite seasoning.
    Always used EVOO until someone (can't recall who) advised EVOO is a flavor oil, if you just want the seasoning to shine, try veggie oil or Canola for the GMO crowd. I don't notice much of a difference but my SWMBO super taster does. Try it, save on the EVOO (unless you are seasoning Greek or Italian of course)
    Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter.