Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New handle - ugly as sin!!

In the "OMG, WHAT. ON. EARTH. WERE. THEY. THINKING?!!!!" department..

The new handle is....composite plastic?!!

Way to make a $800+ grill look like it comes from Kmart, MotherShip.

SERIOUSLY?

This and the new...ahemmm..."wood"...egg mates might be the thing that pushes me over the edge to..gasp..the dark side..(Primo).

I saw Danny's custom handles..not sure I love them, nor do I want to shell out another $70-100 for a "decent" wood handle that should come WITH THE GRILL.  Ditto the side tables..seems I would have to buy them to get the brackets, THEN buy replacement side tables for ANOTHER $100+.

Primo ain't perfect (by any means - lack of screen on draft door is a HUGE negative), but at least their grill and tables LOOK professional, and not some cheap piece of garbage from Kmart.

BGE - IF YOU ARE LISTENING...CHANGE THE HANDLE AND THE SIDE TABLES BACK TO SOMETHING THAT DOESN'T LOOK LIKE IT CAME FROM KMART...'K?  You have an expensive, "premium" product..

Make it look like one.
Mini BGE, KJ Classic - Black, Cookshack SM025, Weber Gasser (mostly for Kamado storage!)

Comments

• brzelt
    brzelt Posts: 62
    Yep I gotta admit the surprise when I opened mine to see the plastico handles....

Crying shame really
    Bruce
    L BGE
    Kennesaw, GA
  • This summer, I bought a large for my parents and was disappointed when I saw the handle and wings were plastic.  I much prefer the wood handle and other components over anything mold injected.  
    They're simply opening the aftermarket for non oem suppliers more.  Just buy a raw egg and do your own!

"Tell me what you eat, and I will tell you who you are."
     Brillat-Savarin
  • Seanr7
    Seanr7 Posts: 207
    I'm sure I'll melt mine.
    XL BGE
  • bicktrav
    bicktrav Posts: 640
    Couldn't agree more.  I had to get a replacement set of bands for my large.  The new handle was included with them.  I was kind of shocked when I saw it.  They're going to charge $800 for an amazing quality grill and then they throw a plastic handle on it?  Seriously?  How much could they possibly be saving by shirking those tiny rectangles of wood?  They really ought to go back to the old handle.  I love the egg, so I woulnd't stray.  But if I didn't own one yet, I could see the appearance dissuading me from purchasing.  Just not a smart move.
    Southern California
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Man those are fugly. I saw them in some threads of recent eggfests. Very disappointing.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Tackman
    Tackman Posts: 230
    Was going to buy a new egg next year, but found a great deal I'm Craigslist. Happy I got a woodie!
    Cleveland, Ohio
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Easy enough to make your own handles; doesn't need to be fancy... And just don't get the side tables, get a small table or set of shelves to sit next to your egg and get cooking.

I agree that the plastic handles and side tables detract from the overall package; but that should hardly be a deal breaker when considering the egg and all it can deliver...
  • They charge the same price for the plastic egg mates as they used to for the wood. For as many new eggers as there are on here, I'm not sure why they are going cheap on us. Pretty disappointing considering how expensive everything is...and it does look like it was made by charbroil or some other cheap brand. At least the composite weber handles have a firm feel to them. This BGE stuff is disappointing.
  • I thought this was about Mickey changing his user-id.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• I guess I see it differently than most of you.

I like the plastic handle. It doesn't age like the wooden ones. I see the older eggs that the handle looks like crappy old decking.

I think a wood handle that had some sort of finish to it that would resist weathering better would be my preference, but compared to a chunk of treated lumber, I prefer the plastic.

• YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    edited October 2013
    Here's what another member did, @WeberWho?,

I absolutely love what he did with the Landshark Tap Handle.  Looks great and very functional.

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/comment/1384056#Comment_1384056

This could be an option as well.  Absolutely love the thought and look.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    My XL bought in June came with wood handles.  Why no pics of the new ugly ones?
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • Seanr7
    Seanr7 Posts: 207
    They're really not ugly, they're cheap looking. I'd rather have ugly then cheap just saying
    XL BGE
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Dcgriller said:

They charge the same price for the plastic egg mates as they used to for the wood. For as many new eggers as there are on here, I'm not sure why they are going cheap on us.

Pretty disappointing considering how expensive everything is...and it does look like it was made by charbroil or some other cheap brand. At least the composite weber handles have a firm feel to them. This BGE stuff is disappointing.

The composite shelves used to cost 40-50 dollars more than the wood ones. They are non-porous and can be used as cutting boards. That's a good deal.
  • Dcgriller said:

They charge the same price for the plastic egg mates as they used to for the wood. For as many new eggers as there are on here, I'm not sure why they are going cheap on us.

Pretty disappointing considering how expensive everything is...and it does look like it was made by charbroil or some other cheap brand. At least the composite weber handles have a firm feel to them. This BGE stuff is disappointing.

The composite shelves used to cost 40-50 dollars more than the wood ones. They are non-porous and can be used as cutting boards. That's a good deal.
    I have the composite wings on my small and XL and I love them. I don't think I would use them as cutting boards. They are easy to clean and require no maintenance from this lazy egghead.
    Flint, Michigan
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    YEMTrey said:

I absolutely love what he did with the Landshark Tap Handle.  Looks great and very functional.

at least do it with a good beer, lol.
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    I was going to suggest telling someone about it here, but who am I kidding - this forum is at best rarely looked at by BGE. lol
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,669
    where bge seems to be spending all the money on marketing others are spending it on the grill with 2 teir ss grids, stainless bands, stainless nests and lower prices. hope bge isnt making a big mistake
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    BYS1981 said:

YEMTrey said:

at least do it with a good beer, lol.
    You should see the other beer I drink. That's super fancy for me! (Hard to find your favorite beer tap handle that is flat and usable as a handle) My normal beer doesn't require to put your pinky up when drinking it. What's up with beer snobs now a days? Let me drink my diesel Budweiser in peace! :))
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • SmokyBear
    SmokyBear Posts: 389
    Wow..which mfgr has stainless bands and nests?

BGE is really "cheapening" the look of the grill with all of this plastic junk. 

At least give us the option to order wood handle and shelves if we really want them.
    Mini BGE, KJ Classic - Black, Cookshack SM025, Weber Gasser (mostly for Kamado storage!)
  • bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,188

I had to go out to the garage and open the box on my new medium.  It has the wood handle so will match the XL it will be living with.  Whew! 

Still trying to decide what to do regarding a table though.

A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • I have 2 Eggs one with the wood handle and one with the plastic I agree the plastic looks cheep but I think that the plastic will look the same after years of exposure to weather as a posed to the wood  
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    The kamado Joe has ss bands.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    I guess the egg is kinda like Harleys... You spend as much on accessories as the originalppurchase. You automatically want new pipes, seat, etc...
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • fishlessman
    some of the visions have ss band, nest, and daisy with 2 teir ss racks that flip up for adding smoking wood. they have pretty much the same warranty but i wont vouch for it. price is alot cheaper for the whole package and delivery on line is mostly free
    fukahwee maine

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    some of the visions have ss band, nest, and daisy with 2 teir ss racks that flip up for adding smoking wood. they have pretty much the same warranty but i wont vouch for it. price is alot cheaper for the whole package and delivery on line is mostly free
    You wonder if anybody from corporate looks at these sites for feedback eh?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• SmokyBear
    SmokyBear Posts: 389
    I thought pretty long and hard about that Vision grill - it's a nice piece of gear and a LOT better price than a BGE.  Just not sure about the potential for air leakage with the electric starter port and ash drawer (both of which I thought were awesome ideas).

I also would really like to see one in the wild and this time of year that's virtually impossible.  Where I live (MI) they replaced the grill section with the snowblower section.. :)
  • fishlessman
    atleast once a year for the last ten years i have a post asking them to make a nice beer opener, i mean they have a plant in mexico that could outsource that for cheap and make me happy....i mean to say everyone happy
    :D
    fukahwee maine

• fishlessman
    they dont need to look here anyways, they just need to look at what the competition is doing cause the competition seems to be growing fast
    fukahwee maine

• SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    The wood handles basically get ruined in a few months. At least mine did, weather, grease, can it get worse.
    Seattle, WA