Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First crack at smoked meatloaf

Options
Been seeing this on the forum for a long time. I have never made meatloaf in my life but I did eat a lot of it as a kid and I loved it. Making it on the BGE can only make it better right?

No real recipe here - just a combination of everyone else's recipes that I thought looked good...

two lbs of Iowa farm raised beef
one pound of italian sausage
two eggs
one onion finely chopped
one green pepper finely chopped
one orange baby pepper finely chopped
one yellow baby pepper finely chopped
four strips of bacon
1.5 cups crushed gluten free bread crumbs (SWMBO has a gluten issue)

cooked the bacon in skillet then added the veggies to the bacon grease for a quick sauté (2-3 minutes).
mixed the beef and Italian sausage by hand, then added the veggies and crumbled bacon along with the two eggs (beaten).
then added the crushed bread crumbs and mixed thoroughly with a few grinds of fresh black pepper.
packed into a lined loaf pan and put in the freezer for half hour to keep solid. I also lit the BGE at this time headed for 375-400.

After I got the BGE up to temp, I dumped the loaf out onto a greased grilling plate and dusted with about 2 Tbs of Bad Byron's Butt Rub.

Hoping this thing will be done in 2 hrs at 375-400. I plan to brush with bbq sauce in the last 1/2 hour.

L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
eggAddict from MN!

Comments

• Central_Bama_Egger
    Options
    cant wait to see the end result
    Huntsville, Al LBGE
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Looking good. Never thought of putting the rub on like a burger, I usually mix mine in with all the other stuff. Must give this a try. 
    We do meatloaf same way, about once a month. I use Penzey's English Prime Rib Rub (If I can't afford Prime Rib, might as well pretend I can)
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    Options
    Looks really good - something I have not tried yet.  Is that just a drip pan between the grill and fire?
    Share a pic of the finish!
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    That is gonna be one tasty loaf!  Your recipe sounds awesome.  I think you are in for a real treat.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Options
    Thanks for all the compliments and advice from everyone here on the forum. Here's the finished product.  Only took about an hour and a half to get to 160. I sauced at 1:15 with some "Two Fat Guys" spicy BBQ sauce. I didn't get any plated pics as we were having issues getting our 9 yr old to eat any! That kid....

We served it up with baked taters, fresh tomatoes, and peas/carrots. I must say, it was so good that I finished eating and immediately went to the kitchen and made another loaf that I plan to take to my parent's house in a couple of days. It's on the BGE right now. My Mom is just about to begin chemo and radiation so she's really off her feet. My Dad had to go back to work since Mom got diagnosed so its time to step up and help out wherever we can. I figure a little comfort food is a good place to start. I think they'll enjoy this. 

Please forgive the "fancy" 70's vintage serving plate. It's my favorite but it drives my wife crazy. She won't let me cut anything on any of our "nice" serving plates. :)

eggAddict from MN!
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,889
    Options
    Good job!  Here is a meat loaf smoking basket that I have used for years. It allows smoke in and grease out. I have a favorite meatloaf imagerecipe, but I just wanted to add this basket idea here.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • minniemoh
    Options
    Thanks @RRP. I like your basket. May have to try one of those sometime. 
    eggAddict from MN!
  • bccomstock
    Options
    How dense was your meatloaf?  My attempt with ground beef and ground sausage in equal parts ended up extremely dense.. But I see you did 2x beef to 1x sausage.. Just wondering about this.
    LBGE
    MS Gulf Coast - Proud member of the Who Dat Nation!
    My Not Frequently Updated Basically Dead Blog: http://datcue.wordpress.com
  • minniemoh
    Options
    I'm not really sure what does what, but I think the bread crumbs help to keep it from being overly dense. I also didn't regrind the meat in a food processor as I have seen some folks do. I'm not sure how to describe the density but it seemed like normal meatloaf to me.

Here's a picture of the second loaf that I made. I didn't chop all the onions and peppers quite as small the second time around. 

eggAddict from MN!
  • minniemoh
    Options
    @Cookinbob I used the platesetter legs up and a drip pan propped up on some foil balls so the grease didn't smoke too much. 

I know a lot of folks don't mess with drip pans but I really don't like all the nasty smoke from grease burning on the platesetter. I used to wrap and re-use a foil pizza pan on the platesetter. Now I have one of the stainless drip pans from Ceramic Grill Store and it's totally worth the money. Hope this helps. 
    eggAddict from MN!