Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

How much pulled pork for 20 adults?

My wife apparently volunteered me to cook for the adults at a kids Halloween party this Saturday afternoon. I was thinking pulled pork. How many pounds of pork butts do I need for 20 adults?
LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  
·

Comments

• Seanr7Seanr7 Posts: 207
    Half a pound per adult 1/4 per kid?
    XL BGE
    ·
  • 2 butts will be plenty. you'll have leftovers (yes, even if it's awesome like yours) :))

·
  • RRPRRP Posts: 15,843
    The rule of thumb that has always worked for me is one half cup of pulled pork makes one sandwich for most adults. Then an 8 pound, bone in butt yields 9 cups of pulled pork. Doing the math then a raw 8 pounder will make 18 sandwiches.
    Ron
    Dunlap, IL
    ·
  • CookinbobCookinbob Posts: 1,542
    I would do 2 butts - 7-8 lbs each, left over will not go to waste.  I would guess there will be some hot dogs and other stuff in addition for the kids??? 
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
    ·
  • SmokeyPittSmokeyPitt Posts: 6,873
    Agreed- at least 2 butts.  It will be more than you need, but one butt would be cutting it close.  Cook 2 and plan for leftovers.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

·
  • tarheelmatttarheelmatt Posts: 3,744
    I would say two butts.  Plus you can freeze the leftovers and they heat up nicely!  
    Thanks,

Matthew
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Be kind; as everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about"
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC - Large BGE - Medium BGE - Plate Setter - Maverick ET-733 - BBQ Guru Party-Q (new design ) Pizza Stone - BGE V-Rack - Weed Torch (to light egg) - Grid Extender - Bayou Classic 14" CI griddle
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------

Facebook
    My Photography Site
    ·
  • yzziyzzi Posts: 1,793
    Do as many as your egg can handle since you're doing all the work anyways and pull and freeze the rest.
    Dunedin, FL
    ·
  • my rule of thumb for HUNGRY people is ten people per shoulder.  This is enough to cover scragglers, vagabonds and late night munchies.  
    "Tell me what you eat, and I will tell you who you are."
     Brillat-Savarin
    ·
  • Half a pound sounds about right. I would also factor in an additional 3-5 pounds to be on the safe side. So it would be 15 pounds of pork butt with the bone removed total. 
    kelly@thehungryegghead.com
    ·
  • I use the three people per pound ratio. And then round up.
    XL   Walled Lake, MI

·
  • NibbleMeThisNibbleMeThis Posts: 2,254
    Some very good rules of thumb posted here. 

If I'm cooking for a group, I like to use the BBQ catering spreadsheet that you can download for free here:  http://www.smokymtbarbecue.com/bbq-tools/bbq-catering-planner.php

It's way more than you need for a backyard party.  I most often use it for portions needed but have also used it to calculate costs for paid gigs.
    Knoxville, TN
    ·