Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My dome doesn't want to stay up.

My dome is having trouble staying up.  If I don't have the DFMT on it, it will just come right back down.  If I put the DFMT on I need to be careful but I can get it to hold up.  My patio has a very slight incline forward in the place it is sitting, but even if I move it to another spot I've got the same problem.

Should the nuts on either side of the spring make contact with the spring?  I know I get a pretty good seal when the dome is down but the balancing act when open is a little too scary for me - I wish it made a more positive hold at the top.

Any adjustment ideas that I can try?

Toronto, Canada

Large BGE, Small BGE

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,674
    edited October 2013
    on the large it can be three things, egg tips forward, get a level and fix that. second is the bolts on the lower part of the spring get loose and tip in, check those and tighten them. third a week or cracked spring, inspect the spings. oh wait, there is a forth thing, band could be upsidedown, that will do it
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • BigWader
    BigWader Posts: 673

@fishlessman - I'm pretty sure the bands are on okay and since it is a new problem I'll start troubleshooting the other things you suggested.

@smokeypitt - I thought posting that might open a whole bunch of opportunities but once I get the wrench in my hand and start cranking around things should take care of themselves.... for now at least!  :ar!

Toronto, Canada

Large BGE, Small BGE

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    @fishlessman - did not think about an upside down band, wouldn't that mean it must have been wrong from day one and the band bolts would be on different sides? Just asking, never heard of this before. 
    If the egg is level, spring bolts secure, the only other issue is a bad spring. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    BigWader said:

@fishlessman - I'm pretty sure the bands are on okay and since it is a new problem I'll start troubleshooting the other things you suggested.

@smokeypitt - I thought posting that might open a whole bunch of opportunities but once I get the wrench in my hand and start cranking around things should take care of themselves.... for now at least!  :ar!

Lubrication speeds things up and prevents binding.  :ar! :ar!
  • fishlessman

@fishlessman - did not think about an upside down band, wouldn't that mean it must have been wrong from day one and the band bolts would be on different sides? Just asking, never heard of this before. 
    If the egg is level, spring bolts secure, the only other issue is a bad spring. 
    havent seen it posted in a while but sometimes someone puts the big flat part of the hinge underneath and not on top. i think im the only one to wear out the springs
    :))
    fukahwee maine

• BigWader

@fishlessman -when you say egg tips forward - I have it in a nest - do you mean it can seat itself lower in the front kind of thing?

Toronto, Canada

Large BGE, Small BGE

• fishlessman
    if the ground isnt perfectly level it may lean forward, it doesnt take much. check those lower bolts first on the springs as thats usually the culprit, the should be perpendicular to the bracket, not leaning in
    fukahwee maine

• Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,566
    Pictures will solve this mystery with out a doubt. 
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Careful what you ask for.
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    edited October 2013
    If your band was installed upside down then the springs are assisting the closing! Does your bands look like this? They should.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    but once I get the wrench in my hand and start cranking around things should take care of themselves..

That's what smokey said.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    henapple said:

but once I get the wrench in my hand and start cranking around things should take care of themselves..

That's what smokey said.

Only you can prevent forest fires. Didn't the original bear have something wrong with it's palms? Burnt? Hairy? Can't remember... I'm blind to the facts.
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,458
    edited October 2013
    @BigWader, found this old thread in the 'other' forum ... hope it solves your problem
    canuckland
  • BigWader

Thanks guys.  I'll post a picture of her backside once the little one is in bed sleeping.

Toronto, Canada

Large BGE, Small BGE

• Kosko
    Kosko Posts: 535
    edited October 2013
    BigWader said:

Thanks guys.  I'll post a picture of her backside once the little one is in bed sleeping.

:)) =P~
    Peachtree City, Ga Large BGE
  • BigWader

@RRP - Here is a picture of the spring assist mechanism.  I got under it and managed to tighten the nylon nuts on the ends down a bit until they just made contact on the spring.  It seemed to help a little.  I think I might get a bag of limestone and raise the front of the stones it is sitting on since this is where it will likely stay for the winter.

Toronto, Canada

Large BGE, Small BGE

• misu
    misu Posts: 213
    BigWader said:

@RRP - Here is a picture of the spring assist mechanism.  I got under it and managed to tighten the nylon nuts on the ends down a bit 

Now try to tighten the other nuts on the same screws, that's what helped on mine. Sort of makes sense if those screws have play they can move up and make the springs less powerful