Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lazy beef flourentine pinwheels

Options
SmokeyPitt
SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
edited October 2013 in Beef
Picked these up at BJs:

imageimage
Talk about easy!  They even come in a pan you can cook them in.  I dusted them with steak seasoning (Kirkland Signature from Costco) and put them on the egg indirect along with some honey gold potatoes in another pan.  I pulled them at about 135 and let them rest.  

There was a good amount of juice in the pan, so I decided to try a pan sauce.  I poured the juice in a sauce pot and added some balsamic, Worcestershire, steak seasoning, and red pepper jelly.  Brought this to a boil and reduced while the beef rested and the potatoes cooked a little longer.  
imageimageimage

They were really outstanding.  I could probably save a few bucks purchasing the components and building them myself, but for the convenience I think I will just buy them.  

One tip- cut the twine and remove before serving so everyone isn't fighting it at the table ;)

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

Comments

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Looks so simple and easy even I could do it. ;) Looks like a pretty tasty meal. What cut of beef do you think it was?

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• SmokeyPitt
    Options
    Griffin said:
    Looks so simple and easy even I could do it. ;) Looks like a pretty tasty meal. What cut of beef do you think it was?
    Thanks @Griffin.  I'm pretty sure it was flank steak.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Makes sense. Did you add any wood for smoke?

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• SmokeyPitt
    Options
    Griffin said:
    Makes sense. Did you add any wood for smoke?
    There were some cherry chips mixed in the lump from a previous cook and I just went with those.  

• Village Idiot
    Options
    Looks great !  I bet it wasn't flank steak.  I think I see marbling in the meat.  Also, I think flank would have been too tough.  At $7.99/pound, I bet it was a better cut.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• SmokeyPitt
    Options
    Looks great !  I bet it wasn't flank steak.  I think I see marbling in the meat.  Also, I think flank would have been too tough.  At $7.99/pound, I bet it was a better cut.
    Thanks VI!  You are right- there is a bit of marbling in the meat.  Perhaps it was something better.  I'll see if I can track down the label (dumpster diving in my kitchen trash can).  

By the way- I think I may have you to thank for the inspiration on pepper jelly in the sauce.  I think you mentioned you use it on pork chops.  I was looking in the refrigerator door for inspiration and I saw the pepper jelly and recalled "I have seen this used somewhere!".  The sauce was quite delicious. 

• Village Idiot
    Options
    Thanks SP.  Yep, I like to glaze pork chops with pepper jelly.  Glad you liked it.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• SmokeyPitt
    edited October 2013
    Options
    I found the label...I'm afraid the cut of beef remains a mystery!  The ingredients are listed as:

Beef, mozzarella cheese,...

Derp...I just noticed that I can see that in the first pic above! 

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Boy, Talk about your superfluous "u"s. Nice cook though.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• SmokeyPitt
    Options
    Boy, Talk about your superfluous "u"s. Nice cook though.
    Doh!  I didn't realize I spelled that with the Canadian spelling!  Why couldn't you have made your comment within the hour I had to edit my post?? ;)  Oh well, at least it is humourous. 

• Village Idiot
    Options
    BJs?  That reminds me of a joke.

A guy walks up to a pretty girl at a bar and starts a conversation.

Guy:  What's your name, Hon?
    Girl: Carmen.
    Guy:  That's a beautiful name.  Is it a family name?
    Girl: No, I named myself that after the two things I love most in life ---Cars and Men
    Girl:  What's your name?
    Guy:  BJ Golfsalot.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Options
    I was thinking of doing those just the other day, but passed because I thought the cheese would just melt out.  I will have to do them now.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    I found the label...I'm afraid the cut of beef remains a mystery!  The ingredients are listed as:

Beef, mozzarella cheese,...

Derp...I just noticed that I can see that in the first pic above! 
    It probably is flank steak if they are anything like what I would make in the deli at Costco. I see the pinwheels at many grocers that list it as flank steak.

At Costco, we would take the flank and run it twice through a mechanical tenderizer(2 metal scrolls with raised bumps, similar to the surface of a tenderizer hammer). We'd then layer spinach and provolone then roll it up, tie it, and quarter it. We also made a portobello stuffing variety. Flank is $6.49/lb at Costco so that price markup makes sense as I believe most wholesale club's prices are in line with each other.
  • SmokeyPitt
    edited October 2013
    Options
    @Doc_eggerton Go for it! There was plenty of cheese still after cooking. Luckily it seemed to ooze out the top and on the meat. 

@Eggcelsior Thanks for the insider tip. At publix they have something that looks about the same and they are listed as "flank steak pinwheels".