Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BBQ Pork and Pepper Jack Twice-Baked Potatoes

Options

I was digging around the freezer the other day and found a lost package of pulled pork. Wasn't sure what I wanted to do with it. Didn't feel like nachos or tacos or quesadillas. Mrs. G showed me a recipe in her Southern Living for twice baked potatoes with bbq pork. Sounded like a winner to me. Baked the potatoes to 210F (my oven is off so I go by temp not time) and let them cool. Mixed the pork with the taters that we scooped out, some milk, cream cheese, pepper jack cheese, green onions and 3 tsp Ranch dressing mix, restuffed them, added about 1/2 cup of cheese on top and baked a little longer, 15 to 20.

Drizzled a bit of Stubbs BBQ sauce on top and dinner was served.

I guess I coulda/shoulda baked them on the Egg, but I was lazy. At least the pork was done on the Egg. I know its not something new and earth shattereing, but it was still darn tasty. And I got to use up some leftovers, I have one more for lunch and even froze two for some future time. :)

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

Comments

• Village Idiot
    Options
    Great looking taters.  My problem with twice baked is tearing the skin when I scoop the potato out to mix with the other stuff.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Mrs. G was in charge of that. She only tore one so we ended up with 7 instead of 8. Fine by me. :)

Rowlett, Texas

• TUTTLE871
    TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316
    Options
    I love twice baked taters, and this intrigues me. I have some left over pulled pork and no need spuds.

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    In this instance I agree with VI. (Notice how I qualified that statement?) I have a high failure rate scooping out spuds for twice baked Taters. Looks delicious Griff!
    Flint, Michigan
  • SmokinOutBack
    Options
    That's definitely a meal in itself. Great job Griffin!
    Cherry Hill, NJ
  • Village Idiot
    Options
    In this instance I agree with VI. (Notice how I qualified that statement?)  

:-O

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Nice!  I would be all over those and so would Mrs. Smokey. 

I too have struggled with the construction of a twice baker.  One trick I found is not to try to get too close to the skin- leave a little wall of tater.  I'm sure there is a better way but the time I pulled them off I just tried not to get too close. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    I bake the potatoes, then wrap in foil and cut a line across the top. Push the ends together forming an opening and scoop out the inside and repack. Since you're really only reheating or baking the top the skin doesn't get soggy.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options

I'm thinking just a little Texas Red on top of these would finish them off nicely.

Griffin, nice job.

Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Options
    I have pretty good luck rubbing the potato with vegetable oil or EVOO and a little sea salt prior to baking. It seems to toughen up the skin and make the scooping easier. 
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options

In this instance I agree with VI. (Notice how I qualified that statement?)  

:-O

Flint, Michigan
  • Kevdavmoo
    Options
    If your potatoes break apart too easily then you cooked the potatoes too long. Cook the potatoes just long enough to allow carving out the center of the potato, because they will cook further when you bake again after stuffing the potatoes

Also, you can deep fry the potato skins before stuffing for a crispier shell!
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited October 2013
    Options
    Kevdavmoo said:

Also, you can deep fry the potato skins before stuffing for a crispier shell!
    I would call this a can't loose technique.  Easier to add the stuffing back...and you have deep fried tater skins!

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Griffin
    Options
    I think @SmokeyPitt has the secret. You have to leave enough potato on the skin so you don't break them. At least, that worked for me on prior times that I have done them.

Rowlett, Texas

• Griffin
    Options
    @Hotch I like they way you think. Some good ole Texas Red on top. No beans, cuz real chili don't hvae beans. Yum. Gotta remember that next time we make chili.

Rowlett, Texas

• Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options

My Dad taught me that soups and stews have vegetables and beans, not chili.

Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX