Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Small wild hog--need time and method guidance

Options
I have a small wild hog that weighed 22 pounds before skinning and removing the lower legs and head.  It is basically about 10-12 pounds and will fit on my large. I'm trying to figure out if I need to do anything more than some Byron's and cook it like I would cook a butt, or some ribs: low and slow at 225-250.  It is lean looking, so I am having a hard time accounting for how long it will take.  I'm estimating six-seven hours since I can cook thick baby backs in that time and the thickest portions aren't that much thicker.  The "hams" are quite small.  I am even a tad nervous about it drying out since I skinned it and there is not a significant fat cap. 

I have read that young pigs have a lot more collagen in their muscle and will stay quite moist, but those recipes were for whole suckling pig. In any event, cooking a "whole" wild hog seems both tricky and simple.  I am interested if anyone has some do's and don'ts or can help on time estimates.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    Options
    If I were you, I'd wrap it in bacon, but I've never done one. Going on a hunt this weekend so maybe I'll be in your shoes. Hoping for a good 80-120 pounder.
    Dunedin, FL
  • Beaumonty
    Beaumonty Posts: 198
    Options
    I was actually thinking of the bacon too.  I think I'll buy some thick cut to keep the thinner parts from drying out and...bacon.
  • Whaler
    Whaler Posts: 110
    Options
    Spatchcocked...Came out great.
    Pensacola,FL
  • yzzi
    Options
    Whaler said:
    Spatchcocked...Came out great.
    I was thinking about trying to spatchcock one this weekend. What temp would you recommend, and I'm guessing I'll be cooking to 160?
    Dunedin, FL
  • alfredo
    Options
    Beaumonty, How did that hog come out? I just shot a hog and processed the hams ( both about 2.25#s ). I was curious did you process your hog and get hams? If so how did you cook them? Rub? Wood? And time? I have heard that wild feral hogs are leaner and may cook faster than conventional pork. Do you have an understanding of this?
    From da Lakefront brah!
  • yzzi
    edited November 2013
    Options
    I am just cooked the shoulders and loin/tenderloin this past weekend of a 60# hog. Tried doing shoulders turbo butt style, and a no go on falling apart since it lacked all the fat. They turned out pretty good though and were hammy. The loin I grilled direct raised till 165 and was fantastic. The legs I didn't do, froze them to turn into sausage later. I'd suggest just cooking to temp and I used the jack daniels oak chips for the first time and loved it, especially the left overs the next day.
    Dunedin, FL