Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Looking for some HOMEMADE rubs for chicken and pork

I have a friend that recently bought a Komado Joe who wants me to bring my XL over and cook chicken and pork chops for 50 people (wedding rehearsal dinner). I have a few go to rubs for chicken and pork, but am wondering if any of you have some creative ideas so we can mix things up.

Again, I am a big proponent for making my own rubs. 
Killen, AL (The Shoals)
XL, Small, Minimax, and Mini BGEs

Comments

• Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    What kind of rubs are you looking for? BBQ? Salt and Pepper? Cajun? Spicy? Sweet? etc. ?
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • 1/2 cup paprika 1/4 cup chilli powder 3 tbsp salt 2 tbsp ground coriander 2 tbsp garlic powder 2 tbsp curry powder 2 tbsp hot mustard powder 2 tbsp sugar 1 tbsp freshly ground black pepper 2 tbsp dried basil 1 tbsp dried thyme 1 tbsp ground cumin 1 tbsp cayenne pepper
  • I use this on everything but steak.
  • What kind of rubs are you looking for? BBQ? Salt and Pepper? Cajun? Spicy? Sweet? etc. ?
    Anything that might be pleasing to my mouth
    Killen, AL (The Shoals)
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Mickey's coffee rub seems quite popular around these parts for chicken.
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    This is my go-to rub. Always use it on pork, good on Brisket also:  I usually make a triple batch and store in a mason jar.

2 tablespoons kosher salt

2 tablespoons sugar

3 tablespoons brown sugar

2 tablespoons ground cumin

2 tablespoons chili powder

2 tablespoons freshly ground black pepper

1 teaspoon cayenne pepper

1/4 cup paprika 

XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • Mickey's coffee rub seems quite popular around these parts for chicken.
    Funny, I was looking at @Henapple's recent post where he posted Mickey's recipe while you made this comment. I will experiment with this during the week.
    Killen, AL (The Shoals)
  • This isn't a homemade rub, but a good combo of commercial rubs i use for pork ribs quite a bit:

2/5 Dizzy Dust
    2/5 Emeril's Rib Rub
    1/5 Jamaican Firewalk
    Pentwater, MI
  • Mross
    Mross Posts: 338
    4 TBS each
    Salt
    Sugar
    Brown Sugar
    Cumin
    Garlic Powder
    Chili Powder
    Black Pepper
    Cajun Seasoning

2 TBS Ground Red Pepper
    8 TBS Paprika

I use it on all pork and poultry.
    Duncan, SC
  • billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    I use this on chicken, pork and beef. Sorta like Mickey's, but with a few more ingredients.
    Expresso cocoa rub

Here's my recipe;

1 Tbs. finely ground espresso coffee beans 
    1 Tbs. pure ancho chile powder 
    1 tsp. natural cocoa powder 
    1 tsp. granulated garlic 
    1/2 tsp. ground cumin 
    1/2 tsp. brown sugar 
    1/2 tsp. ground fennel seed 
    1/8 tsp. ground allspice 
    4 tsp. kosher salt 
    2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper 

Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  •  williamadamsesq said:

1/2 cup paprika 1/4 cup chilli powder 3 tbsp salt 2 tbsp ground coriander 2 tbsp garlic powder 2 tbsp curry powder 2 tbsp hot mustard powder 2 tbsp sugar 1 tbsp freshly ground black pepper 2 tbsp dried basil 1 tbsp dried thyme 1 tbsp ground cumin 1 tbsp cayenne pepper

I use a rub very similar for chicken, except I beer brine the chicken for about 12 hrs beforehand and omit the salt from the rub because of the brine. Beer brine (more than enough for 1 chicken): 2, 12 oz beers; 3/4 cup Kosher salt; 1 cup sugar; water to create 1 gallon liquid with the beer; peppercorns; a few bay leaves; and any other spices I have handy. I use budweiser light beers for the brine (one way to make leftover ones dissappear) and save the good stuff (dogfish head 90 ipa or stone brewing ale) for drinking while the chicken cooks.

• billyray said:
    I use this on chicken, pork and beef. Sorta like Mickey's, but with a few more ingredients.
    Expresso cocoa rub

Here's my recipe;

1 Tbs. finely ground espresso coffee beans 
    1 Tbs. pure ancho chile powder 
    1 tsp. natural cocoa powder 
    1 tsp. granulated garlic 
    1/2 tsp. ground cumin 
    1/2 tsp. brown sugar 
    1/2 tsp. ground fennel seed 
    1/8 tsp. ground allspice 
    4 tsp. kosher salt 
    2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper 

Intriguing. I like the idea of the ancho, cocoa, and cumin in here...
    Killen, AL (The Shoals)
  • I really appreciate the ideas that have been brought to the table so far. I have a couple of weeks to experiment, so it looks like the family will be eating pretty good.
    Killen, AL (The Shoals)