Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We’re so close to Thanksgiving that we can taste it and we’re ready to help you prepare the most delicious Thanksgiving feast you’ve ever cooked! Check out our Turkey Cheat Sheet for turkey tips, our Thanksgiving page for turkey recipes, and our Holiday Entertaining Publication for all other Thanksgiving needs to help you make this the best Thanksgiving yet! PS. Don’t forget about breakfast Thanksgiving morning either!

If you missed the 17th Annual EGGtoberfest here are the highlights Click Here

Dividing firebox on LBGE? (ala Primo)

Hi all..looking to add my 2nd cooker (currently have a Mini BGE) and am REALLY interested in the nifty idea from Primo where they divide the firebox with a vertical divider, so you only light lump in 1/2 of the oval firebox.

The main reason is less lump usage.  (I know, I know..lump usage isn't a big thing in the grand scheme of things..BUT - there is only two of us 99% of the time, and firing up a LBGE full of lump just doesn't make good economic sense from a fuel burn perspective to cook a couple of steaks, etc).

So, I'm wondering..has anyone ever come up with a good way to divide the firebox of the LBGE (like the Primo idea) using firebricks or anything else?  I'd think you could just stack a couple of firebricks on top of each other and build a makeshift divider, but also wondering if only having 1/2 lump in the LBGE would cause it to either take forever to come up to temp or not get hot enough overall..

What do you guys think?

Also - the main reason for a second grill is my setup for mini stinks..I have it on my big patio table, and it not only makes a heck of a mess overall but that just ain't a good place for it for a variety of reasons (WAF, blocks our view out the window, etc).  I "should" have someone make me a decent table for it, but am hesitant to do that since the mini while great for a couple of steaks, burgers, etc can't do some things I want - including a vertical chicken, decent sized pizza, direct/indirect on one surface, etc.  Soooo..time for a second grill.  And I SO love the split idea from Primo, all their "issues" (no draft door screen - which is a BIGGIE to me as it's on a wood deck,cracked fire boxes, lids that occasionally seem to drop off and spotty reports of customer service, etc) aside..

Thx for any/all ideas..

- SB
Mini BGE, KJ Classic - Black, Cookshack SM025, Weber Gasser (mostly for Kamado storage!)

Comments

• CookinbobCookinbob Posts: 1,278
    I have an XL which has a really large firebox - can hold 10 lbs of lump.  I have the lump reducing ring from CGS which I use for smaller cooks.  They also have some Angle-L brackets for dividing the firebox on the XL so you only use half.  

Neither accessory is offered for the large though, and I think it is because they are not needed. From what I have read, the large firebox is much smaller than the XL. I don't think I would worry about dividing the firebox on a large.  It does not hold that much lump.  I would think fire bricks or pieces of them would work fine.

Maybe some large owners will add their comments
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • calikingcaliking Posts: 5,440
    I have wondered about this too - whether something fabbed out of steel could be made like the divider for the xl. My reason for thinking about this was to see if I could have 2 zones - an indirect side and a direct side without  having to remove a hot platesetter in the middle of a cook.  

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • stantrbstantrb Posts: 120
    Rocking the Large, a Mini, and a wood-fired oven for good measure.
  • SmokyBearSmokyBear Posts: 206
    stantrb said:
    That is SWEET!  You guys rock!!

Have you tried it yet?  Does it work in a LBGE?
    Mini BGE, KJ Classic - Black, Cookshack SM025, Weber Gasser (mostly for Kamado storage!)
  • six_eggsix_egg Posts: 594
    edited October 2013
    caliking said:
    I have wondered about this too - whether something fabbed out of steel could be made like the divider for the xl. My reason for thinking about this was to see if I could have 2 zones - an indirect side and a direct side without  having to remove a hot platesetter in the middle of a cook.  
    That is what I do on my XL. When cooking for 4 people on the large I find this hard to do because of grill area. If you stack you can do it but I normally season food differently for adults which makes it harder for me do direct and indirect.

XLBGE, LBGE growing accessories.

Want: Ceramicgrillworks 2 tier large, Dutch oven, Cyber Q Wifi

Grenada, MS

I haven't tried it, but it will fit a large.

When I need to do a smaller cook, I just use my mini. I got a mini plate setter that let's me do a little more indirect than a woo.
    Ps. I can fit more than 2 steaks in my mini. There's a lot more space in there than you think.
    Yeah..I like the mini as well (have had one for about 4-5 months).  Just was considering a second grill because:

- I can't do a vertical chicken (that I've figured out a way to do yet)

- Pizzas are way too small

- No direct/indirect at the same time

- Limited grill space makes it a PITA to move more than a bit of food around (5 chicken legs is VERY tight..)

- Hot spots due to the grill being so small (usually in the back, cuz of the way I light it with my electric)

- Lack of good table options (#1 reason - I would LOVE for there to be better table options available)

Aside from that..I do like some things about the mini (low lump usage..comes up to temp pretty quickly..) and it "seems" like the ideal grill for two people - if you don't want to do the things I listed above.
  • Ragtop99Ragtop99 Posts: 1,242
    Rather than a lump divider, maybe a medium would be a good size egg for you to consider.  It is very fuel efficent and has a lot of room compared to the mini. T-Bones for 4 fit and so does a small turkey.  There's less pizza room than a large, so maybe that is a deal breaker. 
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
    I won't argue with you about the mini's size constraints.  I think it's an excellent second egg, but I'm glad I have the large too.

(But...you can fit a vertical chicken in the mini if you remove the fire ring and you can increase the grill space with a second grid stacked on the first.  I did around 15 sausage links yesterday on the mini with the platesetter in place and then 2 stacked grids.)

I'm inclined to say get a large and have the space vs. get the medium and want the space.  Large cooks fine for 2, 4, or 40 depending on what you're trying to do.
    Hey, guys..yeah - thought really long and hard about a medium.  Seems like the perfect size for the two of us.  But..I do want to do direct and indirect at same time (cook a chicken mostly indirect..then put it on the direct side to crisp the skin, etc).  I think the medium has a drip pan tray and rack for the second indirect side but no half moon stone, right?  So..would there be a way to do direct on one half and indirect on the other on a medium?
    edited October 2013
    stantrb said:
    I won't argue with you about the mini's size constraints.  I think it's an excellent second egg, but I'm glad I have the large too.

(But...you can fit a vertical chicken in the mini if you remove the fire ring and you can increase the grill space with a second grid stacked on the first.  I did around 15 sausage links yesterday on the mini with the platesetter in place and then 2 stacked grids.)

I'm inclined to say get a large and have the space vs. get the medium and want the space.  Large cooks fine for 2, 4, or 40 depending on what you're trying to do.

REALLY?  You can fit a vertical chicken in a mini?  What do you do - put the platesetter right on top of the firebox somehow?
    SmokyBear said:
    Hey, guys..yeah - thought really long and hard about a medium.  Seems like the perfect size for the two of us.  But..I do want to do direct and indirect at same time (cook a chicken mostly indirect..then put it on the direct side to crisp the skin, etc).  I think the medium has a drip pan tray and rack for the second indirect side but no half moon stone, right?  So..would there be a way to do direct on one half and indirect on the other on a medium?
    I haven't looked for a half moon stone.  I think most will just take the platesetter or stone out if they need to switch back to direct, but I can definitely appreciate the simplicity of using a half moon stone on the large.

FWIW, you can crisp the skin using indirect.  Just bump the temp a bit or add a little baking powder with your rub/ S&P.  Or you can use your mini as a searing machine to do the skin after its been indirect on the medium.

Is it just me or is thread not bumping to the top with new posts?
  • You really don't need a divider. I just light the fire off to the side of the box in my XL when I'm doing a small, quick cook like steaks or chops.