Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

It didn't happen if there weren't pics

My first cook on my BGE, I have a lot to learn.
XL BGE

Comments

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Learn what?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Seanr7
    Seanr7 Posts: 207
    Cooking with anything other than gas
    XL BGE
  • stantrb
    stantrb Posts: 156
    You're already half way there:  Light egg, place bird in egg, close egg, remove bird when completed.  You've just got to get that lid closed and get to drinking!
    Minimax and a wood-fired oven.
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    How did it turn out?  I'm guessing a bit crispy on the bottom.  Try Spatchcocking the chicken (cutting out the backbone and flattening it) and raising it from the fire if doing direct, or if doing it whole, do it indirect.  If this is your first cook, looks like you got a used Egg - hopefully at a good price.  Anything you need to learn, just ask.  Lots of helpful folks here.  
    Just pulled it, bottom burned, tented in foil for ten minutes will post pics in a bit. Kept temp between 325 and 350 pretty well, it fluxuates a lot when you open it and air rushes in.
    XL BGE
  • Seanr7
    @Tjcoley, demo egg from the OKC eggfest so full warranty.
    XL BGE
  • Seanr7
    A little underdone.
    XL BGE
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    You need an instant read thermo (Thermopen most popular). Always, always cook to temp. Best cooking advice ever!
    I used a therm open, didn't push it in far enough.
    XL BGE
  • Seanr7
    Foiled and put back in, the taste is wonderful, very moist
    XL BGE
  • queued
    queued Posts: 50
    Despite the internal temperature, the bird looks great.  I'm glad that you could correct the internal temperature by returning the chicken to the grill.  A small adjustment to the termapen will lead you down the yellow brick road on the first pass.
    Raleigh, NC
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Nice. Your very first cook and you learned one of the most important lessons.  Always cook to temp!  Your thermapen will save many cooks and save you intestinal distress as well.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• I'm a newbie on the BGE, but I've been cooking on charcoal for a long time. Something with a low surface area to mass ratio (think bowling ball)  is best done with indirect heat. High surface area to mass ratio (think discus) is better for direct as long as its relatively lean.

The one caveat is high connective tissue containing cuts like brisket or ribs. These need long cooks over low indirect heat to dissolve the connective tissue and give you a tender result.

Lean meat like chicken cooked over direct fire long enough to finish the center will typically burn the outside, or at least dry it out. 

I'm a big fan of Alton Brown and his show Good Eats on the Food Network. He gets into this a ton on his show. Lots of great info.
    Pittsburgh, PA - 1 LBGE
  • my first cook I took it nuclear (because I could) for some ribeyes. my gasket fell off into the fire and I didn't notice. I burned all the hair off my arm with a flashback and in the end, the smell of my burning hair was the only thing that drowned out the acrid taste of my gasket seasoned ribeyes. 

You win.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • MJG
    MJG Posts: 598
    That yard bird looks lonely on there. Next time put a couple of those bitches on there! One of my favorite meals from the Egg. Keep at it and you'll be impressing yourself soon.
    Large Big Green Egg in a nest. North Shore of Boston.
  • revolver1
    revolver1 Posts: 372
    Check out the Nakedwhiz site.  Recipes/poultry/spatchcock.  
    Dan, Columbia,Mo.
  • Seanr7
    This was a mini test for the big assed turkey I'm doing this Sunday? More lump, get it going quicker, white smoke is bad, indirect on a bowling ball and direct on a disc. Spatchcock is the best but ugly, keep trying and I will figure it out, you guys are here to guide me. And I need to drink a lot! Did I miss anything?
    XL BGE