Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

first rookie cook

I had my first cook on my large Egg today. Did a beer can chicken. Used Egg lump coal and some Jack Daniels wood chips...turned out awesome! Can't wait for the next cook. My previous cooker was a Chargriller Akorn...it was worthless as a smoker...had leaks all over the place. it is an egg-shaped grill...could have bought a 30 dollar grill for walmart.

Comments

• sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    Sounds great! Glad you liked it.
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,794
    Congrats and welcome aboard. Tell me more about the problems with the Akorn. I have heard pretty good feedback on them from a couple of friends. Were you not able to hold a low temperature? Or did you run out of lump during the smoke?

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Thanks Foghorn. The problem with Akorn is the air leaks gasket between the top and bottom domes. There is a latch on the front of it by the handle that does not pull tight enough to make a complete seal even after I modified it, it still had leaks. There are also leaks around the ash pan because of the same issue. And, there are leaks around the lower vent as well. I tried sealing it with rtv sealant and it still leaked some. Bottom line is... the Egg has 0 leaks from the get-go...the Akorn is full of leaks and requires a lot of modifications for $300 bucks, not to mention is made of steel, as we all know, will eventually rust out. Spend the extra cash and be done with it.
  • welcome to the new life and the forum! 
    Beaufort, SC
  • daffy1909
    daffy1909 Posts: 498
    Welcome! Congrats on the first of many successful cooks!
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Glad your comfort cook, beer can chicken turned out great, congrats. Try a spatched bird and you will throw away your beer can, 'cept after you drink it of course. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Yes, I would much rather drink the beer...next time I will try the spatched chicken. First, exactly what is a spatched chicken...is it just a butterflied chicken or is there more to it?
  • Welcome to the lifestyle and congrats on your first cook!

Your next cook should be tonight so that you can start waiting for your 3rd cook which, of course, should be tomorrow!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Thanks @rmhendoo, I guess I wanted to get a better idea of how the air leaks affected performance.  I have some friends with Akorns who are happy and some other friends who are considering a kamado but are reluctant to pony up the money for an Egg - so I want to be able to give them good advice in terms of function.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Ha ha, TOTN, you have inspired me! I will cook something tonite...maybe some steaks...the EGG is awesome, should have got one years ago!
  • six_egg
    six_egg Posts: 1,110
    edited October 2013
    Welcome aboard hope you enjoy cooking on it. We eggers love pictures feel free to post some. It there is no picture it did not happen.

XLBGE, LBGE 

Fernandina Beach, FL

• I hear ya six_egg, I was so caught up in the moment, it slipped my mind to document the event. Will get pics in the future.
  • rmhendoo said:
    I hear ya six_egg, I was so caught up in the moment, it slipped my mind to document the event. Will get pics in the future.
    That's me. Dope slap to forehead on most of my cooks. Forget the pics..
    In the  Hinterlands between Cumming and Gainesville, GA
    Med BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe, Brinkman Dual Zone, Weber Genesis Gas Grill and portable gasser for boating
  • My new large Egg and table
  • rmhendoo said:
    My new large Egg and table
    Looks great!  Your handle looks different than most I've seen.  It complements your table well!

I have a stone paver from Home Dept under my Egg to help displace the heat coming off the bottom of the Egg.
  • Skiddymarker
    Nice table, is it all metal?
    Another reason to raise the egg off the support shelf is to ease in raking ash out. If the egg is up a bit you can slip a dust pan under to avoid spilling ash everywhere. If you use a vacuum it doesn't mater so much. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • awm
    awm Posts: 181
    rmhendoo said:

Yes, I would muuch rather drink the beer...next time I will try the spatched chicken. First, exactly what is a spatched chicken...is it just a butterflied chicken or is there more to it?

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/comment/1338821/#Comment_1338821 this link has some info on Spatchcock
  • Skiddymarker
    It would appear any link to the Naked Whiz site is awaiting approval, google naked whiz spatchcock for lots of info. 
  • I go back and fourth between spached and beer can (actually I use a ceramic chicken sitter). I don'tput very much in the chicken sitter, the heat isnt high enough to evaporate it anyway. Just a waste of beer IMHO. 

Spached - cut the spine out, EVOO, then rub
  • Skiddymarker
    edited October 2013
    @dawsonc61 - try inverting the bird on your sitter, that is feet up. Puts the leg/thigh higher in the dome where it is hotter - first saw this from Little Steven, now use it all the time if we don't spatch. 
    Using a regular heads up on the sitter, the breasts overcook before the thighs are done, inverted they finish together. (indirect cook of course)
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    That's a really cool table @rmhendoo.  Did you buy it or build it? 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• @skiddymarker - Thanks for the tip. Will definitely give that a shot. 
  • The table is cast aluminum. My wife got it and the Egg for my 50th bd. I think the table cost as much as the Egg. But it will never rust, rot or warp. Yeah, her 50th is coming up next year...I really have to be on point to match her...I've got an idea, how about an Egg for her?! Only if they came in pink :)
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,794
    High temp pink paint...

San Antonio, TX

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,162
    @rmhendoo-welcome aboard.  Great set-up you have.  Good luck with the follow-on 50th B'day present for your wife (aka SWMBO-She Who Must Be Obeyed).  I like your idea of another BGE but then you may not live to enjoy it :)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    Thanks @lousubcap for Deciphering SWMBO. I have been racking my brains trying to figure it out, but was not ready to give up and ask
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    By the way, that's a great looking setup and yard in the background. Welcome aboard, looking forward to your contributions. BTW my egg was a bd gift from my wife. I reciprocated with an Italian leather coat (bought in Italy). We are even. I built my own table - I'm a DIY type.
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • Thanks Cookinbob, nice table as well. Yeah I'm normally a diy guy as well, but my wife surprised me with this one. The Italian leather coat sounds good, but I may just take her to Italy instead and her current coat will have to suffice :)
  • Skiddymarker
    SWMBO, from the H Rider Haggard novel, She - for those of us old to appreciate this lady....