Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Importance of Burping Your Egg. . .

Options
So, fired up the egg for the second time to cook some porterhouse steaks. Went with the simple high temp sear, then kill the heat and coast to med-rare.

Seared at 700 then threw on the damper and closed the bottom grate to kill the flame. Then I opened after a minute to temp and flip. . . Wow! Burp that egg folks. The rush of oxygen instantly relit my charcoal and shot flames up about 4-5 feet. Really impressive actually. Lucky for me I had my welding gloves on. Still lost a decent amount of arm hair, part of one eyebrow, some eyelashes, and just a tiny bit of hair. (Thank god for a buzz cut or I'd be getting one right now!) 

All and all, I'm a lucky dude. A word to the wise to other relative newbies, burp your egg and save the eyebrows!!!
Pittsburgh, PA - 1 LBGE

Comments

• SickEyeDiaz
    Options
    Yup. Even raising the lid a little to burp it can cause flames to rush up through the small space.
  • pkaboo1
    pkaboo1 Posts: 115
    Options

100%. Been there done that. I no longer have hair on my arms.

Snellville,Ga.
  • jtyler
    jtyler Posts: 9
    Options
    Not to sound too dumb, but would like to know... What's the proper way to Burp Your Egg before opening it at a 700 degree sear?
  • Village Idiot
    Options
    If you follow proper techniques for burping, you will not suffer any adverse trauma.  Here is a picture of me burping the Egg.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• TurtleCreek
    Options
    jtyler said:
    Not to sound too dumb, but would like to know... What's the proper way to Burp Your Egg before opening it at a 700 degree sear?
    I don't like to open an Egg when the vents are shut down.  I open the bottom and top vents then give short little lifts and then open up.  I still wear heavy gloves when doing that.  It's not fool proof, but it increases your eyebrow and forearm hair life expectancy!   
  • Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,567
    Options
    it's even better if you fully open the top and bottom vent before you burp. That helps to get the built up gasses flushed out of the egg before all that fresh oxygen mixes and turns it in to a fireball.
  • txav8r
    txav8r Posts: 153
    Options
    Ya'll are worrying me...
    Just far enough north of DFW to be "rural"...and close enough to be urban, depending on my mood.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Burping is no longer recommended after shutting down a hot fire. Open both vents for a few seconds before you lift the dome. If you happen to remember.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• xiphoid007
    Options
    Seems to me the bottom line is if you're running hot, a little air needs to be introduced prior to throwing the lid wide open. 

Jtyler, BGE has a video on their website on proper burping technique. You could also just do a search on YouTube. 

Little Steven, who says burping is no longer recommended. Per BGE website its still recommended in the tips and safety info. 

Not doubting you, just wondering.
    Pittsburgh, PA - 1 LBGE
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    I don't remember where I saw it but it was from BGE. It may have been on TNW

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    And that's why I reverse sear. That puppy is hot for about 2 minutes with full air flow, very little chance for a fire ball.....
    TREX followed by a slow roast - not so much.....
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • txav8r
    txav8r Posts: 153
    Options
    Question...while it is definitely hard to get the temp to come down after the sear...what about getting it to climb after cooking to temp and then attempting the reverse sear? How long does it take?
    Just far enough north of DFW to be "rural"...and close enough to be urban, depending on my mood.
  • Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Options
    txav8r said:
    Question...while it is definitely hard to get the temp to come down after the sear...what about getting it to climb after cooking to temp and then attempting the reverse sear? How long does it take?

Couple, three minutes if you have a good fire going.
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    I never burp my Egg.  Little Steven, you probably got that from me.  I open the bottom and top vents for about 10 seconds to allow the accumulated gases to burn off, then slowly open the lid.   If you burp and you see small flames jumping out, you are still subjecting your gasket to extremely hot temperatures, which you may or may not wish to do depending on what kind of gasket you have.  That's what I do, FWIW.....
    The Naked Whiz