Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Small wild hog--need time and method guidance

I have a small wild hog that weighed 22 pounds before skinning and removing the lower legs and head.  It is basically about 10-12 pounds and will fit on my large. I'm trying to figure out if I need to do anything more than some Byron's and cook it like I would cook a butt, or some ribs: low and slow at 225-250.  It is lean looking, so I am having a hard time accounting for how long it will take.  I'm estimating six-seven hours since I can cook thick baby backs in that time and the thickest portions aren't that much thicker.  The "hams" are quite small.  I am even a tad nervous about it drying out since I skinned it and there is not a significant fat cap. 

I have read that young pigs have a lot more collagen in their muscle and will stay quite moist, but those recipes were for whole suckling pig. In any event, cooking a "whole" wild hog seems both tricky and simple.  I am interested if anyone has some do's and don'ts or can help on time estimates.

Thanks in advance.
·

Comments

• yzziyzzi Posts: 1,793
    If I were you, I'd wrap it in bacon, but I've never done one. Going on a hunt this weekend so maybe I'll be in your shoes. Hoping for a good 80-120 pounder.
    Dunedin, FL
    ·
  • BeaumontyBeaumonty Posts: 171
    I was actually thinking of the bacon too.  I think I'll buy some thick cut to keep the thinner parts from drying out and...bacon.
    ·
  • WhalerWhaler Posts: 102
    Spatchcocked...Came out great.
    Pensacola,FL
    ·
    Whaler said:
    Spatchcocked...Came out great.
    I was thinking about trying to spatchcock one this weekend. What temp would you recommend, and I'm guessing I'll be cooking to 160?
    Dunedin, FL
    ·
  • Beaumonty, How did that hog come out? I just shot a hog and processed the hams ( both about 2.25#s ). I was curious did you process your hog and get hams? If so how did you cook them? Rub? Wood? And time? I have heard that wild feral hogs are leaner and may cook faster than conventional pork. Do you have an understanding of this?
    ·
    edited November 2013
    I am just cooked the shoulders and loin/tenderloin this past weekend of a 60# hog. Tried doing shoulders turbo butt style, and a no go on falling apart since it lacked all the fat. They turned out pretty good though and were hammy. The loin I grilled direct raised till 165 and was fantastic. The legs I didn't do, froze them to turn into sausage later. I'd suggest just cooking to temp and I used the jack daniels oak chips for the first time and loved it, especially the left overs the next day.
    Dunedin, FL
    ·