Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cracked Base Part II

Options
Finally got around to replacing the base with the one the Mothership sent me.  Went easier than I expected, but definitely a two person job.  Took me forever to figure out I had to loosen the hinges from the ring to get the alignment right.  Will be interesting having half a gasket after going with none for almost two years.

The crack shows all the way through the base, don't know how long it would have worked before it failed.  It broke with mild force right at the crack.  The endi is kind of sad.  This XL is the where I did my first ever smoked meats, pulled pork, and salmon.

If you knew The Spouse, you would understand why she was the one wielding the hammer.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

Comments

• Fred19Flintstone
    Options

The only way to chase away the blues is to cook on it.  Looking forward to seeing that.  Good job Doc.

Flint, Michigan
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,516
    edited October 2013
    Options
    Ouch, that photo with hammer hurts big time!  I've been searching for a terracotta pot to build an oil drum tandoor (inspired by @caliking); I could have patched up the cracks with clay or fireplace cement!  Never mind, too bad you're not close to me!
    canuckland
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Options
    Ouch, that photo with hammer hurts big time!  I've been searching for a terracotta pot to build an oil drum tandoor (inspired by @caliking); I could have patched up the cracks with clay or fireplace cement!  Never mind, too bad you're not close to me!
    I would have liked to keep it and plant a peri peri pepper bush in, but the vendor said it had to be destroyed as part of the warranty trade.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    @Canugghead - some time ago someone had thought of using a discarded base as a tandoor buried in the ground. I don't know how that type of tandoor works in terms of air flow, since it doesn't seem to have the classic intake at the bottom and vent at the top. The pot you need is an unglazed one, found at HD or Lowes, about 21-22" diamter at the open end. I cut off the rim, 3.5" from the open end, and it fit right into the drum. It was not very expensive, maybe $30 or so. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,516
    edited October 2013
    Options
    Haha, I wasn't serious about the egg bottom! Searched for large unglazed terracotta pot at big orange, big blue and few other places in my neck of the woods but to no avail, at any cost!
    canuckland
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Haha, I wasn't serious about the egg bottom! Searched for large unglazed terracotta pot at big orange, big blue and few other places in my neck of the woods but to no avail, at any cost!
    you may have to wait until the spring, until the stores stock them again?  I hear it gets chilly in your neck of the woods :)

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Well, she's broke she's broke, so badly broke,
    Like a ship without a rudder, 
    Like a dog without a place to crap, 
    Or a cow without an udder!

Nice looking new base Doc, even with the gasket.
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options
    I discovered a large crack in my xl base last night. (Sad face)
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Seanr7
    Seanr7 Posts: 207
    Options
    Yikes, manufactures defects causing these?
    XL BGE
  • Smokin_Trout
    Options
    I guess i better start looking at mine
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    My large cracked all the way through the bottom like Doc's last month, only took a week to get a warranty replacement.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • eddiepro
    Options
    I just discovered a similar crack in the base of my XL as well. Any thoughts as to what is causing such cracks? Mine sits in a nest.
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    They crack. The price is high because they know that. Buy new get a warranty and your covered. I have cracked a large and a medium base and every part in every egg available except my XL since I have only had it a year or so. Luckily I live by tucker and take a picture and go pick up the new part when I need it. The thing about turning in your old part must be new because they have always accepted a picture for me.
  • sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    Options
    I have a large crack in my bottom also. It even has a hole. :)
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options

I see what you did there! 

Flint, Michigan