Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turkey issue

Options
I egged a turkey for Thanksgiving and the internal temperature in the breast was 170 degrees. I started to carve only to be disappointed that the thigh meat seemed uncooked. I cooked at 350 degrees for 2 and a half hours. Although still pink, it seemed done. What did I do wrong? First time trying to cook a turkey and thought I researched, but obviously need to work on it. Any help is appreciated.

Comments

• Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,567
    Options

Ice the breasts before you start your cook. That helps keep the breast meat from getting done before the dark meat which needs to be a little higher temperature.

You won't find a better way to do turkey than this method from Mad Max: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/madmaxturkey.htm

• BigWader
    BigWader Posts: 673
    edited October 2013
    Options

Funny looking but really works...

And the results are worth it...

014.JPG 625.8K
    019.JPG 662.5K
    020.JPG 737.3K

Toronto, Canada

Large BGE, Small BGE

• TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    Here's a link to a USDA FSIS page that discusses pink turkey meat.

As long as you're sure you cooked to the proper internal temp you're okay. However, for many, the sight of pink results in the automatic conclusion that eating such meat means that series illness (or even death) is just around the corner!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    like was pointed out, turkey can be pink and i get it more with egg cooks than roasting in an oven. to get the legs up to temp faster, ice the breasts for 20 to 30 minutes before cooking, point the legs to the hot spot in the egg which is usually in back toward the hinge, and dont tie the legs, you want them splayed out so they cook more evenly without the cold meat of the breasts slowing the cook down. i also get a more even cook with a shorter sided pan in the egg verse the traditional deep ones
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,512
    Options
    All great comments above.
    Here's a PhD writeup on bloody poultry ...
    canuckland
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    All great comments above.
    Here's a PhD writeup on bloody poultry ...
    Great article - thanks for sharing. Although not big on thighs, we have had a number of cooks where the meat temp has been way north of 175ºF, yet the meat looked almost raw. Now I have an idea why. 
    @Egghead2972 - cooking the turkey in a traditional whole position will always result in overcooked breasts unless you do something like ice them, per Mad Max. It works. Although not great for presentation, parting the bird before the cook also works very well, put the thighs/legs on 10-20 minutes before the breasts, they get a chance to cook a little more. We even part out chickens, have had enough that the presentation just isn't that important anymore. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,512
    Options
    Great for assuring others that you're not trying to poison them!
    canuckland
  • Egghead2972
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I'm new to the forum and had to try another turkey after all the advice. I iced the breasts and then covered the breast for 30 minutes and this solved the problem. Temps were great and we had a feast. Would attach a picture, but haven't figured out how to do that yet. :D
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    Okay... you're going to need to learn because... no pics... it didn't happen.

When you are typing up your post you will see a link just below the area in which you are typing that says "Attach a file". Click that link and a button will appear that says "Choose File". Click that button and find the picture(s) that you want to add to your post. Unlike some other apps I believe that you can only add one picture at a time so you'll have to click the choose file button multiple times if you have more than one pic to post. Once the pic has uploaded you can hover your mouse over the picture and a link will appear that allows you to insert the picture directly into your post. Once a picture is inserted into your post you can hover over it again and delete it (it will stay in your post).

If you want to add individual comments above each picture it is easiest to add the comment and then insert the picture as the pictures always insert at the end of your post. If you have subsequent pictures, add your second comment below your first picture and then insert your second picture. Repeat this process until you have all of your comments and pictures posted.

You can also upload pics directly from your iPhone or iPad. I don't normally do that so someone else can help you with that.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    I'm still having trouble uploading a picture. I clicked on the "attach a file" and the "choose file" button came up. When I click on this button, nothing happens. I'm trying this on an original iPad, so maybe that's the problem. I'll try it on my MacBook and see what happens. Tried copying and pasting and that didn't do anything either.
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    I'm still having trouble uploading a picture. I clicked on the "attach a file" and the "choose file" button came up. When I click on this button, nothing happens. I'm trying this on an original iPad, so maybe that's the problem. I'll try it on my MacBook and see what happens. Tried copying and pasting and that didn't do anything either.
    Sorry, I don't have an iPad or a MacBook so I can't offer any help.
    Options

You need at least ios6 to be able to attach pics from iPhone or iPad

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.