Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pig Shots - first try

This was a busy weekend with many commitments and no dinners cooked at home.  The next door neighbor was cooking up a 5-gallon batch of Chili and invited the world, I decided to make a batch of pig shots for the party.  I followed the general recipes found here on the forum, and the cook was a total success. With a pound of smoked sausage and 8 oz of cream cheese (mixed with cheddar and diced Jalapeno's), I was able to make 30 shots.  The bacon was Hormel bought in a 24 oz package, it was really thick cut, only 18 slices in the pack - but I am not complaining.

About 90 minutes at 300 deg, took them to the party and they were gone within minutes.  I had a crowd asking how I made them, and two came over to see the egg, one may be a future egger!

One challenge, the sausage was a bit fat for the length of the bacon strips, so I had to stretch it a bit to make the "glass" - will go with smaller diameter sausages for the next round.  I will definitely do these again!
XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
Rochester, NY

Comments

• Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Looks good to me!! Haven't tried this yet as the kids just finished soccer/flag football season this weekend.  Hopefully be able to get my normal egging clan together a little more now that time of year is over.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • Jebpot
    Jebpot Posts: 374
    Good looking cool. Made the a few times always a hit and gone fast.

XL and Small

Chattanooga, TN

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200

Looks great. Still on my to-do list. Ned to get around to it.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• SmokinDAWG82
    SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,705
    They look good, always a hit! Nice job
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • six_egg
    six_egg Posts: 1,110
    edited October 2013
    Looks great. The prep is a bit of a challenge the first time around. I myself put frank's hot sauce in the cream cheese and diced pepper mix. I also sprinkle dizzy dust on the sauage after wrapped and then add cheese mixture and then do the brown sugar mixture to finish.

XLBGE, LBGE 

Fernandina Beach, FL

• Grillmagic
    Grillmagic Posts: 1,600
    Nice looking pork shots, I would say you nailed them. I use Echrich smoked saugage and it's the perfect size for using half a piece of thick cut bacon.
    Charlotte, Michigan XL BGE
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    Thanks for all the suggestions.  I will definitely add more heat to the filling next time, and look for smaller sausage - probably link rather than the larger kielbasa type.  I also need to get a good frosting bag - the tool and tip I used were a bit of a challenge, and the pepper chunks got lodged in the hole a couple of times
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Looks good. I've switched from a bag/tip to using just a zip-loc bag with enough of a corner cut off to allow the diced peppers to squeeze through.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA