Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

TGIF- What's cookin this weekend?

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
For those of us not going to Atlanta this weekend- What's cookin?[p]I'll be cookin up some brunswick stew and cornbread. Pizza, ribs, and chicken wings sound good too (haven't decided yet). I think for breakfast Sat. I'll make some glazed amazin raisin bread to go along with the classic eggs, bacon/sausage, and skillet potatoes (haven't totally decided on that either). Basically this is going to be a "winging it" weekend. [p]phillip[p]

Comments

• badbruce
    badbruce Posts: 353
    Options
    Mornin' bbqwizard,
    Alas I'm not going to Atlanta either, sniff.
    On the bright side my 6 daughters are gathering for my birthday Sun. The older I get the more I cherish family gatherings.
    Tonight I'm doing burgers & I’ve been brining a corn beef brisket all week that I just can't wait to get at tomorrow.
    Have a good weekend.
    Cheers,
    bruce

• KennyG
    KennyG Posts: 949
    Options
    bbqwizard,[p]Chili, this year with dried chilis from Mexico - pasilla negro and californias thanks to DTM.[p]K~G

• VW Gal
    VW Gal Posts: 42
    Options
    bbqwizard,
    Could I get your recipe for the raisin bread? It sounds great![p]Thanks!
    Terri

• Lawn Ranger
    Lawn Ranger Posts: 5,467
    Options
    KennyG,
    Good to see you're still kickin'[p]Mike

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options
    bbqwizard,
    hamburgers tonight for a kick back Friday night, though now I'm retired Friday night is no different than other nights since they are all kick back! 8^)
    Saturday is a night out on the town with some visiting old friends up from St Louis. Sunday is a turkey breast that I'll have marinated.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Eggecutioner
    Options
    bbqwizard,[p]I'll be going eggless this weekeknd. However, I'll be cooking some chili over the fire in a dutch oven. That might get some smokey flavor...[p]
    E

• DTM
    DTM Posts: 127
    Options
    Yo K~G,
    Chili sounds good to me. Hope all is well with you. Let me know if your chili stash is getting low.
    Your friend,
    Dan

• RRP,[p]Retiring today? Congratulations! What did you do?[p]phillip
  • vwgal,[p]For the bread:[p]3/4 cup milk
    1/2 cup sugar
    1 1/4 teaspoons salt
    1/2 cup butter
    2 pks of active dry yeast
    1/3 cup warm water
    3 eggs
    1 tablespoon vanilla (seeds from one bean is better)
    5 1/2-6 1/2 all-purpose flour[p]Heat milk, sugar, salt, vanilla and butter in a saucepan, until the butter melts and the sugar dissolves. Cool to lukewarm.[p]In a mixing bowl, dissolve yeast in the warm water. Add lukewarm milk mixture, eggs and five cups of flour. Start to knead this mixture and add more flour as needed until the dough becomes firm, smooth, and elastic (about ten minutes, if doing it by hand). Place the dough in a greased bowl. make sure the top of the dough gets some oil on it to pevent a crust from forming. Let rise until doubled in size. Once doubled, punch down and get ready for shaping.[p]

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    ribs430pm.jpg
    <p />bbqwizard,[p]Friday, Tammy usually cooks. But Sat. it will be some filets and scallops. For the Chiefs on Sunday it will be babybacks and chef rds wings.[p]Mike
  • Raisin bread continued:[p]The filling:[p]1# UNSALTED butter, softened
    vanilla to taste
    cinnamon to taste
    Raisins[p]The formation:[p]Divide the dough in half. Roll the prepared dough into a rectangle about 9x14 (this may differ with the size pan you use). mix together the butter, cinnamon, and vanilla. Divide this mixture between the two rectangles of dough, and spread it evenly over each. Sprinkle raisins all over the top. NOw from the smallest end, roll the dough as tightly as possible. Pinch the dough to seal the seam.
    Place dough seam side down into a greased bread pan. Cover and let rise until it just comes to the top of the pan (the dough will rise a great amount in the oven. this is called "oven spring")[p]Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for approximately twenty minutes. I like a dense dough, so I go a little less. Once out of the oven let it rest out of the pan till cool.

• Now for the glaze and all the other methods:[p]I don't use measurments for this. I usually just mix the stuff together until I like the consistency and flavor.[p]Confectioners (powdered) sugar
    orange juice
    milk
    vanilla[p]As mentioned above, mix together and tweak until you like the flavor and consistency. To cover the top of the loaf, mix the glaze until thick but not stiff. The mixture should have some shcene to it. For drizzling, mix to a thick syrup consistency (preferred method).[p]Now that you have the glaze, you can have a lot of fun with the bread. Top the loaf with the glaze if you like. Or what I like to do it preheat a skillet. Spread butter on each side of a thick slice of the bread. Then toast it in the pan, like making grilled cheese. While it's hot, drizzle one side of the toast with the glaze- Fantastic!
    Or, this makes some killer french toast.[p]This recipe is pretty basic, and can be done a lot of different ways. Play with it until it suits your palette. If you don't want to mess around with all the rolling and stuff, just add cinnamon, raisins and vanilla to the dough, and knead it all in. I first made cinnamon rolls with this formula, and that is why i roll it all up (like swirl bread). Enjoy!

• Car Wash Mike
    Options
    bbqwizard,
    Terri is on her way to Hotlanta. If this thread disappears before she gets back, you might want to copy and paste to her e-mail.
    I know she wants the recipe.[p]BTW, I love raisin bread, just not had a lot of luck with bread on the egg.[p]Mike

• Car Wash Mike,
    Thanks, will do. i posted it here because i thought others might want it too. Thanks for the heads up.[p]phillip

• Car Wash Mike
    Options
    bbqwizard,
    Oh, I glad you did. I printed everything off. I just don't want to see a pic. I bet that stuff is fantastic. Just reading made me hungry.[p]Mike

• For a richer dough, add an egg yolk to the dough and replace granulated sugar with brown sugar.[p]phillip
  • Car Wash Mike,[p]lol, Me too! I'm about to mix some up.[p]phillip
  • ttbq
    ttbq Posts: 39
    Options
    bbqwizard,
    Not sure yet - we are going to our first EggFest tomorrow, I hope to get inspired and cook something good on Sunday!
    Ted

• Eggin in Peoria
    Options
    bbqwizard,
    going to try ClayQ's pulled beef with apple addition per RRP's suggestion. Probably a few ABTs to tide me over.[p]Happy Eggin'

• Egg_eh
    Egg_eh Posts: 19
    Options
    Well,

I 'd luv to try my first pulled pork. Hoping for some help on which cut to buy as our local grocer has the followingn on sale;

Whole pork shoulder picnic roast
    and
    Boneless Pork Leg, choice of: inside, outside or Tip roast.

Which is best?

Thanks in advance.

Eggeh
  • bbqwizard
    bbqwizard Posts: 119
    Options
    Egg_Eh,

Sorry for the delay in the response. I forget that if you post on this forum it won't post on the other forum, but if you post on the other forum it will post here. But I digress. Onto the question at hand.

Personally, I would first reach for the picnic roast. This cut is actually only part of the whole shoulder. From the whole shoulder you have the picnic and the butt (or boston butt) end. The butt seems to be the most preferred amongst q'ers. The butt offers the most amount of surface area to apply rub, which of course offers more yummy bark. Plus there is generally more fat in this cut which helps to make it more tender and self basting. However, The picnic offers an entirely different appeal. It is more dense than the butt, which gives it more of a hammy texture (this is NOT a ham. The ham comes from the back end of the hog). Some say that you should baste the picnic more than you would for the boston butt. This is due to a lesser amount of fat marbling. Personally, I just season it and put it in he cooker- no basting. Most picnics in the store still have the skin intact. Some take it off, to apply more rub. Others leave it on and cook it skin side down. The skin provides a great heat shield and acts as a bowl to trap in the grease. I like them both!

Which ever you decide, have fun with it! Keep your temps as even as possible throughout the cook. I like to cook mine between 225-235. And NO PEEKING!!!!!!

Happy Q'en
    phillip
  • Egg_eh
    Egg_eh Posts: 19
    Options
    Thank you!!

I will try em all, cause that is what life is about, experiencing different things. Or is that q'n?

I will post pics too!!

Can't wait for the low n slow.

Eggeh