Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Baby Back Ribs--4-5 Slabs

pileit1971
pileit1971 Posts: 136
Good Saturday Evening Everyone,

I have a big group coming tomorrow (sunday) for birthday and football watching.  I have 4-5 slabs of baby back ribs to cook... I had some questions about How to cook that many ribs on my LBGE.

I have the AR Rig with the rib extender....I have cut the ribs in half, I have found that 1/2 slab can be cooked better on the AR rig...but the most that I have cooked is 3 slabs, 6 pieces, 3 on each shelf.

Can you stack the ribs half way onto each other???  That is the only way I can see that I will be able to fit my 8-10 pieces.

Or has anyone figured out a way to use the AR Rig with 3 shelves on it???

Thanks
Scott...

PS... Still wishing I would have gotten the XLBGE
Large BGE
Camp Chef 4 burner Griddle

Near Cleveland, Ohio

Comments

• minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    I can cook 6 full racks with the AR on my large. I use the spider and a pizza stone with drip pan, then leave the BGE grate in its normal position and then the two oval grids on the AR creating a 3-tier set up. I also have the extender so it fits two full racks on each grid. 

Not sure if you have the exact same set up. Hope this helps.
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • I was able to set it up w 3 levels and got all 6 slabs on.. I didn't do exactly what you said but it inspired me to use oval stone on bottom, full grate on top, then the AR rig w the two oval grids and a smaller grid on the rib extender. Question though... Do I need to rotate the slabs or just let them go??? Going at 270 since 12:30 Thanks for your help.. Scott
    Large BGE

Near Cleveland, Ohio
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    I find it helpful to rotate them top to bottom and end-for-end . I usually end up with a hot spot on the back and for some reason, it seems to be more on the "back-left" of my cook grid. Hope this helps. Looking forward to how your cook turns out.

L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • daffy1909
    daffy1909 Posts: 498
    I roll them up an put a metal skewer through them! Can fit 4-5 slabs on my large, just make sure they dont touch! I know its a little late maybe try ot next time
  • Well so far so good, just foiled them all and they are looking good... 1.5 hours foiled then 30 mins for sauce which should be fun..... nOT

Thanks for advic
    Large BGE

Near Cleveland, Ohio
  • They were a hit for everyone, my only complaint is that they were a little over done, 1/2 the slabs were falling off the bone, which for everyone here, they thought they were amazing, but of course I know better... But were still pretty good!!!
    Large BGE

Near Cleveland, Ohio
  • But what was the really big hit was my first attempt at home made apple pie, it wasn't done on the egg this time, but it turned out great!!!
    Large BGE

Near Cleveland, Ohio