Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Small Pork Butt of 1.7 lbs. Too Small?

Hi

I bought a pork butt of just 1.7 lbs. just for the two of us! Is that too small?

All the posts seem to be about much larger pork butts. How should I cook it and for how long with this size?

Tiocfaidh!
Support 26+6=1 United Ireland

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    TURBO BUTTS. · Hot'n fast, 350 for 3 hours to internal to around 160, then wrap in foil and 2 more hours to 195/200 and then let it rest for an hour or so wrapped in towels in a ice chest. Falls apart and oh so good! Have fun! · Be sure you only get a 7lb butt or so for the time (or a couple for more protein ) . Note: The butt box is not required. I use mustard & Bad Byron's Butt Rub (both not required). I put on the rub, then mustard, then rub once more.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    I wish I could find one that size. Sure skip the foil. Do it in a second.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Thanks! Ill try the turbo butts method. Do you inject 50/50 apple juice/cider vinegar? Before during or after?

Never did a butt before
    Tiocfaidh!
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    edited October 2013
    You can cook it as a roast to 160* and slice it too. Nothing at all wrong with that.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• I've just had it on for 4 hours at 250-300 and so far it's like a roast so I've wrapped it in foil and ill keep it going for 2 more hours at 350 I think
    Tiocfaidh!
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Today was the first time I used the turbo method and all I can say is "dayum, why did I wait so long?" The bark was softer than I prefer but the juiciness way offset any disappointment in the bark

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    I've cut large butts into smaller ones... I don't see a problem.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN