Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mechanical meat tenderizers

Options
Looking at getting one for skirt steak, chicken fried steak etc. Any good ideas?
LBGE 4/2012, MBGE 6/2012 & Mini 11/2013
Rome, GA

Comments

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Jacaard. Get the most blades you can, I think there is a 45 blade unit.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• krobertsmsn
    Options
    Thanks! I'll check it out
    Rome, GA
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,889
    edited October 2013
    Options
    What Steven said. I have this 48 blade from Amazon that is their Best Seller that I have had for 2 or 3 years now.
    What you need to realize though for sanitary reasons you need to knock it apart and clean it well after every use. this model has 3 bolts to remove. With practice I can disassemble and reassemble in about 2 minutes time...but the cleaning after knocked apart is the time consuming part!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • RRP
    edited October 2013
    Options
    BTW here is a neat little trick...When the bolts start to come out then the two strong springs which are hidden inside the posts will cause the unit to explode sending pieces and parts flying! Find a pice of something 1/8" thick such as my wooden ruler and place it so the bottom guide rests on it. Then even with the 3 bolts removed it stays in tack and you can then easily finish the disassembly.  
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Ok, I was off by three blades...sue me. I just put it in the dishwasher after I use it. Does that make me a bad person?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,518
    Options
    I bought the same per Ron's recommendation, very happy with it. I don't disassemble either but clean the meat crumbs off the tips with a toothbrush before throwing it in the d/w.
    canuckland
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Ok, I was off by three blades...sue me. I just put it in the dishwasher after I use it. Does that make me a bad person?
    No you won't be sued 'cause they have 45 blades and 15 blades in the new improved SS versions. Easier to clean and no explosions.....
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,471
    Options
    I use a hammer...  :-S

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options

Yeah, Ron can be persuasive!

I ordered one after looking at his post.

John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • GlennM
    GlennM Posts: 1,365
    Options
    So how many of you use this? If you had a nice prime rib eye would you use this? Pork chop? Brisket? Strip loin?
    In the bush just East of Cambridge,Ontario 
  • Loosemoose
    Options
    Do you have to cook beef to 160 after using it?
    Nowhere Indiana
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    GlennM said:
    So how many of you use this? If you had a nice prime rib eye would you use this? Pork chop? Brisket? Strip loin?
    Good question, easy answer is no. If you use a tenderizer, the meat should be cooked to a temperature that will kill any surface bacteria driven into the interior by the knives. For prime rib, rib eyes, NY, T's, sirloin etc... although you could turn the texture of select into almost prime, the cooking to 160º would kinda negate the idea. Check the labels of meat to see if it is machine tenderized, most large chains use tenderized cuts. 
    Primary uses are for cutlets, pork and chicken schnitzels, chicken breasts and the odd pork loin chop. Never on brisket or pork shoulder, just not needed. Round steaks used for braising also get the treatment. If you trust the source of the meat, go crazy.  
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • RRP
    edited October 2013
    Options
    I agree with Skiddymarker. Once and ONLY once I ruined a beautiful prime rib. Never again! I swear after I cut it open you would have thought it was meat loaf! Yes it was very tender, but the texture was a real turn off! My most frequent uses are with Sirloin as steaks and chicken breasts made into kick butt sandwiches!
  • krobertsmsn
    Options
    Good point on bacteria being punched thru requiring temp 160...didn't think of that. I cook my skirt steak for fajitas mediumish to keep moist...that would be an issue.
    Rome, GA