Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Reverse Sear Ribeyes - First Attempt

After reading countless posts on the reverse searing method for cooking steaks, I wanted to ask a couple of questions before attempting the cook later tonight.

1. What is a good internal temperature to shoot for:
  • Rare -
  • Medium Rare -
  • Medium -
  • Medium Well -
  • Well -
2. Does the thickness of the steaks make a difference in the target internal temp?
3. What is a good dome temperature for roasting the steaks indirect.

Thanks!
Large - Mini - Blackstone 17", 28", 36"
Cumming, GA  

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    I like to reverse sear at least 1.5 inch steaks. I go medium rare and roast indirect until the internal temp is 110-115. Then I sear both sides at around 600 for 30-60 seconds per side, until the internal is 125. Resting takes it to around 130.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    edited October 2013
    Oops, I roast at 275-300.

Edit: I always cook ribeyes to medium rare. For all temps, roast until the internal temp is 10 degrees below where you would normally pull.
  • fence0407
    fence0407 Posts: 2,236
    Thanks Eggcelsior! I think that is great advice pulling 10 degrees below where you'd normally pull. We prefer medium to medium/well steaks, so I'll have to shoot for an internal temp higher than 130. 
    Cumming, GA  

• dweebs0r
    dweebs0r Posts: 539
    Medium well ribeyes?  To each his own but man, you are ruining a great piece of meat.  My wife used to prefer her steak medium to medium well but I have finally convinced her otherwise.
       -Jody Newell (LBGE & a 36" Blackstone griddle).
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Quick question on same issue:

When doing stage one, are you taking the internal temps with an instant read (Thermapen, etc) or with a probe you're leaving in during the cook (i.e. Maverick digital, etc)?
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • I use my maverick so that I can monitor without having to open the dome. I really don't bother with checking temp for the searing; just go about 1 minute per side.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    thetrim said:
    Quick question on same issue:

When doing stage one, are you taking the internal temps with an instant read (Thermapen, etc) or with a probe you're leaving in during the cook (i.e. Maverick digital, etc)?
    Thermapen for me, the Mav probe just isn't accurate enough, not due to the probe, but more due to where I place it. 
    @fence0407  SWMBO likes well done, she is not a beef eater. Last night's NY strips, indirect at 275º her's went on 15 minutes before mine. When mine hit the grid with an internal of 45º, hers was already at 115º. When mine hits the 110-115º, off they come, I never test her's again as it is cooked (ruined?). Once the setter is out and the egg at 500-600º, sear them for colour, 30-45 seconds a side. Plate and serve. 
    The lower the roast temp, the more the steak will take on flavour from smoke and rub. Some like this, some not so much. Good luck. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • thetrim
    If you're doing T-Bones or Porterhouses, would you take temp from the tenderloin or strip side?
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited October 2013
    thetrim said:
    If you're doing T-Bones or Porterhouses, would you take temp from the tenderloin or strip side?
    I think similar temps on either side of the bone is the advantage of a reverse sear low and slow indirect roast. Provided the fillet is the same thickness as the loin side, the temp does not vary too much between the two sides. You are giving the meat a chance to slowly cook edge to edge. Don't do T's or Porterhouse that often, when I do, I check both sides and when one is around 115º, off they come. I don't check temp on the sear, egg is too damn hot to reach in there with the Thermapen. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • fence0407
    Thanks Skid! Where should I put the Maverick probe on my boneless ribeye..from the top in the center? Side?
    Cumming, GA  

• thetrim
    I'm guessing coming from the side would be a little more stable.  If you went fro the top, you'd only go in 1".
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • fence0407
    Used a simple rub and brought the steak to room temperature

Set up the Maverick, plate setter and asparagus for indirect cooking at 375

Pulled at 130 and wrapped in foil. Heated the egg to around 650 for searing. Seared for roughly 60-90 seconds per side with the lid open. Finished product with cheese biscuits:
    Cumming, GA  

• Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    edited October 2013
    How did it turn out for doneness? You were within a whisker of medium rare before you did the sear. Searing with the lid open might have kept it from getting to dark gray. I sear with the lid closed - i want that temp at 600 - 700.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    @fence0407 - looking good - you can sear with the lid closed, with the DFMT off, the heat is even more intense, careful to burp when you open. 
  • fence0407
    @Spaightlabs - should have waited to pull. Wayyy to rare for me. Ended up putting it back on for a minute or two, but still had medium rare at best.

@Skiddymarker - I think I'll sear with the lid closed next time. ALWAYS burp regardless of temp just to get in the habit. 

Luckily I bought 2 ribeyes and have one left to try again. Only my 4th cook on the egg...lots of learning left! 

I really do appreciate all of the comments on here to my posts and the countless posts I've read before!
    Cumming, GA