Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Digi Q vs. Cyber Q

Options
I've decided that I want to buy a Digi Q or Cyber Q and want advice from people that actually use them. The Cyber Q would be very helpful for me to track the heat temps/progress while away from home, but is it user friendly enough with an IPad? Would the Digi Q be sufficient and am I going over the tech edge with the Stoker unit?

Comments

• BobsBGE
    BobsBGE Posts: 99
    Options
    I love the Cyber Q.  My egg is downstairs (outside a basement) so the less time I spend walking back and forth is a plus to me.  I can check temps from my MacPro (or my IPhone)which is a big help.  I think if it was more conveniently located the wifi capabilities would not be as necessary for normal cooks but if you're away from home it might be useful.  I don't know how it might work with an IPad but I presume it would be the same as the Mac. 
    Fayetteville, Ga
  • Goatsegg
    Goatsegg Posts: 113
    Options
    I have a Cyberq and use iPad/iPhone to monitor and it works fine. I also set it to email me temp & alarm info so if I need to run out, or go to sleep, it is quick to check status. Either model will give you greater control over your cooks, IMO.
    -The Goat
    Marietta, GA
    XL BGE

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options

I'm a dealer for both, just shoot me an email (or call) if you have any questions.

As usual, the best reviews of both are on the Naked Whiz's site:  http://www.nakedwhiz.com/productreviews.htm

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/productreviews/cyberqwifi/cqwf1.htm

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/productreviews/digiq2/digiq1.htm

• dougbacker
    dougbacker Posts: 277
    edited October 2013
    Options
    I have the Cyber Q and love it. The Cyber Q comes with 3 meat probes and a pit probe and you can control 3 meats at once. The DiGi Q comes with 1 pit probe and 1 meat probe. these probes are about $25.00 each so if you look at it my way it only cost you $25.00 for the WIFI :) Also Pit Pal has a really cool little app for android they just NEED to get busy and get the app done for iPhone. HEADS-UP Pit Pal....I would pay for the app for iPhone just like I did the one for my Driod

--------------------------------------------------------
    South Dakota
    KBØQBT
    Large BGE, 
    Mini BGE
    36" Blackstone Griddle
    Phoenix Gasser
    Cyber Q WIFI

And a deck box full of toy's

• six_egg
    six_egg Posts: 1,110
    Options
    If money is no object I like the Cyber but I own the Digi. I never check it. I set it up and do whatever I want. I did a butt once and left town to go shopping (6 Hours) with SWMBO while using the digi. Butt turned out great. I have never had it not maintain temp.  

XLBGE, LBGE 

Fernandina Beach, FL

• thailandjohn
    Options
    I have had my Stoker for a few years and I love it...what ever unit you decide on, you will love the controller
  • cali_egghead
    Options
    I have the digi and its really good but my one complaint is that I don't get to know my food temp unless I'm all the way outside, checking my digi so i bought a redi-check wireless deal and it works great. If money was no object and you can afford the Cyber, buy that one purely for the updates.
  • cmbj
    cmbj Posts: 9
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice. I took your advice and looked at Naked Whiz' review and have decided on the digi. For one, the Cyber is a lot of money, not that the Digi is cheap, and secondly, I don't think I would like the hassle of setting up the unit and doing all the tech stuff. I think the Digi would fit my needs/personality more. Thanks again for the advice.
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    I am way cool with the combination of a Digi-Q and a Maverick ET-732 so I can control my gill heat and monitor it and the meat temp fom inside the house.
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • pescadorzih
    Options
    I just purchased a Digi-Q last week. I used it for the first time this past weekend. It worked flawlessly. I set it to run a pit temp of 240 for the whole packer I was making and it never varied from that temp once it stabilized. I got up once in the middle of the night and checked the readout from in the house and it just cruised along. Money will spent.
    I had previously purchased a Maverick Et-73 but was disappointed in its performance to monitor the temps. Needless to say, it went back. The wife was skeptical of the Digi-Q, but she was amazed at how it worked.
    You won't be disappointed in either unit.
    SE PA
    XL, Lg, Mini max and OKJ offset