Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

4 pound chuckie..

Options
Making some barbacoa on the egg for the first time. I usually over night a Chuck in an oven bag in a crock pot over night, but want to try the egg.

I got a bone in, thinking that would be good, but I'm reading it may come out tough. We'll see. Going to do indirect at 250 to 165 it, then foil and bring to around 205ish. Should be fine by around 5 am, ready for flour tortillas and some fresh salsa (breakfast at 9)

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.

Comments

• td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,822
    Options

I've had good luck cooking them cooking 4 or 5 hrs indirect with a foil drip pan with spacers between the pan and the platesetter, then I put the roast in the pan with the drippings and foil it.  Cook for another 3 or 4 hrs and it will fall apart.

XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • williamadamsesq
    Options
    I did a 10 lb beef clod foiling at 175' and it pulled nicely as can be at 205. Took forever, though.
  • sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    Options
    Thanks guys. I foiled at 160, then pulled at 205, still tough. I should have gone longer before foiling, or finished with a braise like you guys did. I pulled it at 2 am - about 5 hours.

I'm reheating it now in a quarter inch of water, let's see if a couple hours helps out. I'm definitely in recovery mode!

• sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    Options
    About half of the Chuck got tender and made good barbacoa. Not great, but good. My crock pot barbacoa is beefier in flavor with just salt added. I'm still braising that last part to see what happens, but that's in science project mode. I think a regular Chuck would have been better.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    the braise after the smoke is where it's at with chuckie. I can't get them as tender as i like without it.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX